Age of Mythology Gold Installation Error

I have been trying to install Age of Mythology Gold Edition and I get an error at 38%, It says "Age of Mythology Gold Setup encountered a disk setup error while writing to the file C:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftGames\AgeofMythology\sound\cinematics...\birdshort.mp3. Make sure that you hard disk is not full and that the file is not in use". I have installed AOM many times over the past 3 or 4 years on Windows XP. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. There also is a 37% error I have gotten about another mp3 file. This is a first gen. cd, before Microsoft gave the selling rights away.

I have a guess that maybe the disc was not working well, or that it is the computer. In the window that comes up there is ignore and retry, they do not work. If anyone could please help, I really need it. I cannot play without installing it :(

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2019 Views 1,837 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

·         Which operating system is installed on the computer now?

Method 1: Clean the disc

Clean the CD or DVD. To do this, use a disc-cleaning kit. Or, gently wipe the silver side of the disc by using a soft, lint-free cotton cloth. Do not use paper cloth that can scratch the plastic, and leave streaks. When you clean the disc, wipe from the center of the disc outward. Do not use a circular motion. If the problem continues to occur, clean the disc by using a damp cloth or a commercial CD or DVD cleaning solution. Dry the disc thoroughly before you insert the disc in the drive.

Method 2: Install and then start the program by using a different CD or DVD drive

The CD drive may be unable to read the product CD. Try to install the program by using a different CD or DVD drive on the same computer or on a different computer.

If the installation is successful, and if you can start the game in this test, the problem may be that the original CD drive or DVD drive cannot read the game CD.

Method 3: Try to install the game in clean boot.

“How to perform Clean Boot”  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135      

Note: Please ensure that the computer is set to start as usual by following the step 7 from the article.

“Age of Mythology: Minimum system requirements”http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331403

Method 4: Delete the contents of the temporary folder in Windows

To delete the contents of the temporary folder in Windows, follow these steps:

a.    Click Start, type %temp% in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

b.    On the Organize menu, click Select All.

c.    On the Organize menu, click Delete.

d.    Click Yes.

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.