Windows 8 Pro Build 9200 RTM??? Legal?

I was researching about Windows 8, when I saw in a forum a leaked copy of Windows 8 Pro Build 9200 RTM. There was a Product Key also, leaked ahead of release date. I download it, as I wanted to try it. Used the Product Key, it worked, installed it on VMware. It is clearly Windows 8 Pro. Im not pro-piracy. But what I did is illegal or legal? Can I get arrested, please I will format the drive if this is illegal. I only installed it because I love Windows 8, and when it is release Im planning to buy it.
Answer
Answer

Hello Win7ProUser,

The copy you have is a 'leaked' copy. The 'official' copy will not be available until 26 October (unless you have an MSDN subscription in which case you can get download copy from the MSDN site on the 15 August)

The copy you have is an 'illegal' copy. Microsoft would class it as a 'pirated' copy because it should not be in your hands. My advice is to remove it from your system and wait until the official release date and then buy a legal copy.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

John Barnett MVP: Windows XP Associate Expert: Windows Expert - Consumer: www.winuser.co.uk | vistasupport.mvps.org |xphelpandsupport.mvps.org |www.silversurfer-guide.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I was researching about Windows 8, when I saw in a forum a leaked copy of Windows 8 Pro Build 9200 RTM. There was a Product Key also, leaked ahead of release date. I download it, as I wanted to try it. Used the Product Key, it worked, installed it on VMware. It is clearly Windows 8 Pro. Im not pro-piracy. But what I did is illegal or legal? Can I get arrested, please I will format the drive if this is illegal. I only installed it because I love Windows 8, and when it is release Im planning to buy it.

Hi Win7ProUser

The difference between the Windows 8 Preview versions that you may have been using and the new RTM version.

Windows 8 Preview = This is a beta version that is free to download and use, for a limited time. It is made available so that anyone can use it to evaluate and test the new operating system.

Windows 8 RTM = This is the final Retail version Windows 8. It will be available for Purchase starting on October 26, 2012.

Some groups will be able to download and Evaluate the final RTM version early.

Here is a list of these groups and the dates when they can download the evaluation version:

August 15th: Developers will be able to download the final version of Windows 8 via your MSDN subscriptions.

August 15th: IT professionals testing Windows 8 in organizations will be able to access the final version of Windows 8 through your TechNet subscriptions.

August 16th: Customers with existing Microsoft Software Assurance for Windows will be able to download Windows 8 Enterprise edition through the Volume License Service Center (VLSC), allowing you to test, pilot and begin adopting Windows 8 Enterprise within your organization.

August 16th: Microsoft Partner Network members will have access to Windows 8.

August 20th: Microsoft Action Pack Providers (MAPS) receive access to Windows 8.

September 1st: Volume License customers without Software Assurance will be able to purchase Windows 8 through Microsoft Volume License Resellers.

The leaked versions that are available through a non-Microsoft website are not legal to download and use.

Another thing to consider is that when Windows 7 RTM was leaked, early, on the internet, many of these downloads contained Malicious Code (Trojan Virus) that had been added to the download.

Leaked Windows 7 RC torrents infected with trojan:

http://www.slashgear.com/leaked-windows-7-rc-torrents-infected-with-trojan-2842048/

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 20, 2013 Views 10,171 Applies to: