Windows 8 Freezes, 16GB RAM

Hello, I have an ASUS G73 Laptop with 16GB RAM. I installed Windows 8 but at the screen where you choose the color and specify the system name, etc. it locks up solid. Cannot do anything. I have diagnosed this to the RAM being the issue.

If I remove **ANY** two 4GB Sticks it boots fine (reading as 8GB RAM), but if I put in the other two 4GB sticks to make 16GB, Windows 8 freezes. This happened on the Consumer Preview, Release Preview and now the MSDN release. 

I have also tried Pro and Enterprise with the same results. Anyone experience this issue? 

This is a deal breaker for me as I'm an avid gamer and I also run a few VMs to work on various projects and absolutely need the RAM. I will add that Windows 7 x64 works perfectly fine with the RAM. I also ran a memtest86 and no errors found. Is this a BUG in Windows 8 or is there a simple fix somewhere? My BIOS is up to date.
Answer
Answer

I have resolved this by disabling BD-PROCHOT in my BIOS. The stock BIOS does not allow this so I edited the BIOS with AMIBCP Tool and made the option available.

I have been running 2 days without any freezes of any kind.

This seems to be a speed stepping issue/CPU state issue. The DisableDynamicTick hack did not work for me either.

You can do similar in software by using a program called: ThrottleStop, however, you need to be able to get into Windows 8 and install it without freezing.

Hopefully this will fix it for others, if you need your ASUS G73 BIOS modded, you can use this BIOS I created. I am not responsible for any dead motherboards due to a bad flash, but others have tested and are using it fine:  https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bzj6JjnAJZjjTWJCZnRGZ3Vxdnc

I've also unlocked a bunch of other BIOS features, but I would advise against playing with them. BD-PROCHOT is located under CPU Thermal Config.

Thanks,

Scott

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 20, 2013 Views 336 Applies to: