UEFI Enable Windows 8 64Bit and Linux or Other Unix variants or Distros Installation Dual Boot

This is a question which I need to ask before I made any purchase for a new computer. (Mainly on an Intel and AMD Platform. Not a ARM at this time)

Let just say that I buy a new computer that comes with Windows 8 certify hardware. And the Bios of the new computer comes with UEFI.

Will I be able to install variants version of Unix OS (such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, Arch Linux, (or most all linux distros) FreeBSD,OpenBSD,NetBSD, Oracle Solaris)???

Because much of my work will be using on these platform?

With the "UEFI Bios Enable" will it work to install Linux or any Unix variant OS???

Because in Todays world if you are running a Unix Server or a Workstation you need a machine which can do cross platform. (In my end I won't be using Virtual Machine)

Can any of Microsoft Windows 8 Development Team please reply to my question?

Because I need to have a first hand information before buying a new computer. (This is like having implementing a System Development Life Cycle)

I just need a confirmation answer for this. As this is critical issues which I need to know.

As a matter of fact Windows 2012 Server is having a rather similar technology as Windows 8.

Because I wouldn't want to have endless major problems along the way.

I am sure many of the Enterprise Corp.Users are still running a Unix System at their end.

This is critical. As most Users will face issues when buying a new computer.

Answer
Answer

Hi

Your questions are beyond the scope of these Answers forums. It is better suited for the Technet ITPro forums.

Please ask your questions on the following forums.

Windows 8 IT Pro Category:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w8itpro

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 20, 2013 Views 79 Applies to: