Get error stating cannot use USB Drive to download Windows 8 Consumer Preview via Windows 7 USB/DVD tool

Hello, it is saying that I cannot use my USB drive for writing Windows 8 Consumer Preview on to it via Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool. How do I get it to work?

I am running Windows 7

Answer
Answer

Hi,

1. What is the size of the USB Drive that you are trying to use to make a bootable media?
2. What is the complete error message displayed when the process fails?
3. Which Operating system do you have installed natively on the computer currently?
4. Do you have a .iso file copy of the Windows 8 Setup operating system? If so, where did You download Windows 8 setup from?

Please provide the requested information for a better understanding of the issue.

Please follow the link mentioned below to help creating a bootable USB.

Please download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool from the link below

(http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool)

Also download Windows 8 .ISO file http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

Make sure you are downloading the iso image. If you are not sure if your processor is 32-bit or 64-bit ready, get the 32-bit .iso file.

Follow the instructions  to install the USB DVD tool and make a bootable USB for installing Windows 8.

Insert a USB drive into your computer. (It must have 8GB or greater storage capacity ).

Install the Windows 7 USB Download tool you downloaded from the MS Store

Launch Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool you installed.

When it launches select the ISO file you downloaded earlier by clicking on “Browse”.

Select the USB Drive you inserted earlier. It must be 8GB or over and everything will be erased.

Let it run its run and wait for the progress bar to complete.

Once the tool is done, you will need to restart your PC with the USB plugged in.

On start up, you will need to enter the BIOS utility of your computer and boot from the USB.

This is different for different computers. If you need help, just do a search for Entering Bios for your specific PC. In BIOS you need to make USB one of the bootable drives.

Once booted from the USB drive; follow on-screen instructions to install Windows 8

Please let me know if you were successful in making the USB drive bootable with Windows 8, please post back if you need additional help on the issue.

Hope this helps

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2013 Views 77 Applies to: