does windows 8 release preview delete all of your data?

I was going to upgrade my computer from windows 8 consumers preview to windows 8 release preview.  After going through the setup process, I got a screen that is supposed to give me options about the installation, however, the only option that it gives me is to remove everything!  Why is that the only option available and how can I fix it?
Answer
Answer

This is not what was asked. The question is about Migration issues and wanting to keep Apps & Docs - in place after upgrade. The method you're referring to does a Side-by-Side setup, similar to the procedure for Windows 7.

But we're asking about ways to perform an In-place Upgrade.

If there is no such procedure available yet, that is too bad.

And documented in the FAQs.  Doesn't ANYONE read these things when they test software for a company?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/faq

Upgrading

Can I upgrade from previous versions of Windows to Windows 8 Release Preview?

Yes, you can upgrade to Windows 8 Release Preview from Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Windows Developer Preview, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP, but you might not be able to keep all of your files, programs, and settings. The following table shows what you can keep during an upgrade depending on the current version of Windows running on your PC:

Current operating system What you can keep

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

• Nothing (your files will be saved in the Windows.old folder)

Windows Developer Preview

• Nothing (your files will be saved in the Windows.old folder)

Windows 7

• Programs

• Windows settings

• User accounts and files

Windows Vista

• Windows settings

Windows XP

Warning

If you create installation media, start your PC from the media, and then install Windows 8 Release Preview, you won't be able to keep your files, programs, or settings. To keep files, programs, or settings you need to install Windows 8 Release Preview by starting your installation from within Windows.

How do I retrieve files from the Windows.old folder?

If you were running Windows 8 Consumer Preview and installed Windows 8 Release Preview and didn't reformat your hard drive during installation, you should be able to retrieve your files from the Windows.old folder.

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Search (or if you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search), enter Computer in the search box, tap or click Apps, and then tap or click Computer.
  • Double-tap or double-click the drive that Windows is installed on (typically, the C: drive).
  • Double-tap or double-click the Windows.old folder.
  • Double-tap or double-click the Users folder.
  • Double-tap or double-click your user name.
  • Open the folders that contain the files you want to retrieve. For example, to retrieve files in the Documents library, double-click Documents.
  • Copy and paste the files that you want from each folder to a folder in Windows 8 Release Preview.
  • Repeat steps 5-7 for each user account on your computer.
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2013 Views 451 Applies to: