Windows Update stuck in preparing to install

My Windows 8/64 installation doesn't seem to continue processing Windows updates.

For days now it endlessly displays the "Preparing to install" progress status without actually doing something...

Moreover, I don't seem to be able to abort this process. When I click the [Cancel installation] button, I get an error message telling me that I need administrative privileges in order to cancel the installation. But Windows 8 doesn't provide an option to run Control Panel applets like Windows Update with administrative privileges!

Any help is appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated November 30, 2019 Views 268,086 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I was experiencing the same issue: Windows Update was stuck in "Preparing to Install..."  When I tried to stop the install it said I needed Administrator Permissions.  The account I was using was a Domain Administrator account and it appeared in the Administrators group on the local machine.  I tired shutting down and cold booting, but when I went to Windows Update, it still said "Preparing to Install..."

I went to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and scrolled down to the bottom to find the "Windows Update" service and stop it.  I then started it again and when I went back to Windows Update, it showed the available current updates - not "Preparing to Install...".  I deselected all the updates and selected just the first two.  They installed successfully (reboot required).

After the reboot, I chose two more.  They installed successfully (no reboot required).  Then I chose 9 more.  They also installed successfully (reboot required). The reboot took a very long time.  I was looking at "Configuring Windows updates" for about five minutes.

After rebooting, I selected the remaining current updates, including an Optional driver update.  They installed successfully as well (reboot required).

249 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.