windows 8 language packs fail to install

following tweeter suggestion
"@MicrosoftHelps
@yipcw Thanks for the info. We recommend creating a new thread at http://spr.ly/6011koI7  so our experts can work with you one-on-one. ^AG"

the original thread is over, forum users have done the usually diagnostic steps
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/cant-install-a-language-pack/843feb68-808a-41ea-a702-4bd5e0ccadcc?page=2

I can reproduce the problem on Surface Pro, Surface RT, Asus Taichi.  Quite often some language packs (display, and handwriting modules for onscreen keyboard IME) won't install.  Korea, Japanese, Chinese Traditional.  Other have report Chinese Simplified, French I believe.

did all the standard support things @MicrosoftHelps suggested
- safe mode (cannot download the update that way)
- sfc /scannow
- troubleshoot windows update (basically rename \windows\softwaredistribution)

screenshots at
http://users.wfu.edu/yipcw/ms/ime/w8o2013/

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Ching-Wan,

I would like to ask a few questions about this issue:

1)       What exactly happens when you install the language packs on your computer? Are you getting any error message?

2)       Do you have any third party security program installed on your computer?

3)       Did you try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter and check if that resolves the issue?

If you haven’t done that, then I would suggest you to try the following troubleshooting methods and check if that resolves the issue.

Method 1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows 8 inbuilt tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the Windows Update settings. Perform these steps to run this tool and check if that helps.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

c)       In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

d)        Click on “Windows Update”.

e)       Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

f)        Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If this does not fix the issue, then you may try downloading and installing the language packs manually in clean boot and check.

Method 2: Download and install the language packs manually in Clean Boot.

A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflicts and to determine what is causing the problem. Perform a clean boot on the computer by following the steps given in the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: After you have finished troubleshooting, refer to the article “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” for Windows 8, given under the section “More Information” to reset the computer to start as usual from the above link.

After performing a clean boot, you may download the language pack updates manually from the Microsoft Download Center and then install them on the computer from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/default.aspx

You may also refer to the article: “Language packs are available for Windows 8 and for Windows RT” from this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2607607

If you have any third party security program installed on this computer, then you also try the next method.

Method 3: Temporarily disable the third party security program. (If you have installed any)

If you have installed any third party security program, then I request you to contact its technical support to temporarily disable the program and then check the issue.

Important: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Please do reply and let’s know the troubleshooting results. If the issue persists, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

> 1)       What exactly happens when you install the language packs on your computer? Are you getting any error message?

for the ones that don't work, you get message like this

http://users.wfu.edu/yipcw/ms/ime/w8o2013/images/w8-lang-kr-install-failed.gif

there are a variety of errors in

\windows\windowsupdate.log

sample of a portion of one incident

812    a14    Agent      *   Title = Korean Language Pack - Windows 8 for x64-based Systems - (KB2607607) [ko-KR_LP]

812    a14    DnldMgr    No locked revisions found for update 57A3A6B9-D8D9-4DD3-934D-44108874BC8E; locking the user-specified revision.
812    a14    DnldMgr    Adding revision ID 200 for update 57A3A6B9-D8D9-4DD3-934D-44108874BC8E to the lock revision cache.

808    b80    DnldMgr      * Update is not allowed to download due to service regulation or download size limitation.
...808    b80    DnldMgr    ***********  DnldMgr: New download job [UpdateId = {8F1584CE-9F42-49D1-AFBB-BF804115F7FC}.200]  ***********

808    b80    Report    REPORT EVENT: {D13E0192-04CA-48DB-B2BF-FE57D308A990}

1    182 [AGENT_INSTALLING_FAILED]    101    {57A3A6B9-D8D9-4DD3-934D-44108874BC8E}    200    80070002    Windows Language Pack Installer    Failure    Content Install    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070002: Korean Language Pack - Windows 8 for x64-based Systems - (KB2607607) [ko-KR_LP].

> 2)       Do you have any third party security program installed on your computer?

No

> 3)       Did you try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter and check if that resolves the issue?

yes.

no change, still fails

other people and me have tried manually remove \windows\softwaredistribution folder also (windows update troubleshooting just rename it .bak), same thing.

if I recall from the 1st thread, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/cant-install-a-language-pack/843feb68-808a-41ea-a702-4bd5e0ccadcc?page=2 some one even clone a bunch of clean machines, some fails, some success.  seems like it is a completely random event.  I wouldn't say it never works. you can't predict which one will fail either.  I have install edCHT, CHS, JPN on a ThinkPad Helix w/o error.  can't do that on the other three I tested.  Korean is the only one I never got it install successfully.  The sequence of which pack to install is not consistent either.  I can have KOR failed, and I can install JPN immediately Ok.

if i remember correctly, another person has the LP on DVD from systembuilder/OEM,

can't dism offline install (using CAB or lpsetup?) either.

it is more than likely a obscure bug in the Windows 8 language pack install.

i am sure among all the posters of this bug, all the standard support suggestions have been tested, it really need to escalate back to the globalization developers who program the packs.  it should not be that hard to reproduce if you try on several machines in testing labs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ching-Wan,

Thank you for getting back to us with the updates regarding the error.

In the error logs that you have included in your reply, it shows: “Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070002: Korean Language Pack - Windows 8 for x64-based Systems - (KB2607607)

So, to start with, I would first suggest you to verify that this language pack is supported for your computer architecture. Normally, this error code indicates that the version of the language pack is for a different architecture. This can happen if you are trying to install a language pack for an x86-based computer onto an x64-based computer.   

If you are installing the correct Language Pack, then let’s try some other troubleshooting steps and check if that helps. Let’s first check if this is caused by any missing or corrupted protected system files. For this, let’s perform an SFC Scan and check if that resolves the issue. To perform an SFC Scan, follow the below given instructions.

Method 1: Run an SFC Scan

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard and select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from that menu.

b)       On the command prompt window, type the following command, and then press “Enter”

sfc /scannow

c)       Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the scan.

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

After performing an SFC Scan, try installing the language pack again and check if that helps. You may also check if there are any disk errors causing this issue. For this, run a Check Disk and check the issue.

Method 2: Run Check Disk in Command Prompt

To run “ChkDsk” utility using Command Prompt, you can follow these steps:

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard and select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the list.

b)       In the command prompt window, type “chkdsk /r” and press “Enter”.

c)       Answer “Y” when “chkdsk” asks you if you want to check the drive next time computer boots (restarts).

Important: While performing Error-checking or ChkDsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found and when attempting to repair that sector, the data available on that sector might be lost.

Please do reply and let’s know the troubleshooting results.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

... In the error logs that you have included in your reply, it shows: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070002: Korean Language Pack - Windows 8 for x64-based Systems - (KB2607607)

So, to start with, I would first suggest you to verify that this language pack is supported for your computer architecture. Normally, this error code indicates that the version of the language pack is for a different architecture. This can happen if you are trying to install a language pack for an x86-based computer onto an x64-based computer.  ...

No. In Windows 8, you don't get to choose install x86 or x64 language pack, it is auto detect by the system when it is pulling the KB system update down.  Unless it is a bug in Windows, you cannot install the wrong version, there is no option that user can click. 

all 4 systems I tested are x64.

(In Office 2013 proofing tool & screen tips language pack install, it is a manual process, it is possible user download x64 on x32 and fail)

... If you are installing the correct Language Pack, then let’s try some other troubleshooting steps and check if that helps. Let’s first check if this is caused by any missing or corrupted protected system files. For this, let’s perform an SFC Scan and check if that resolves the issue. To perform an SFC Scan, follow the below given instructions. ...

Yes - done that, no effect.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Absolutely same issue here. I've spent like fourty hours dealing with Windows Update bugs but I am not able to solve this one.

I've also done all that stuff mentioned on support forums but expectedly none of "super-auto-mega-fixing" utilities actualy worked.

Of course it may be caused by downloading language pack for different architecture, but its Windows Update downloading it not me! I don't know how to force to pick the 64bit one...

It makes me pretty annoyed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.  Tried multiple solutions, but no result.  I'm using Windows 8 in English and have a Japanese language pack installed.  I can switch between English and Japanese, but can't install the French or Spanish language packs.  Very annoying!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same situation here. I've tried all methods to repair windows update, but as I've researched the problem is caused by update itself.

The actual error that causes this update fail to install is in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Failed to find file: x86_microsoft-windows-w..ient-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_7.8.9200.20555_en-us_a43630f10c490fc3\wuaueng.dll.mui [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

My operating system is Window 8 (not Pro) with Russian language preinstalled, x86 architecture.

CBS package identity: Microsoft-Windows-Client-LanguagePack-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.2.9200.16384

Package file:

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\5ddb709a1d215ed70a89a2164d57ea65\Windows8-KB2607607-x86-ENU.cab (144 524 603 bytes; date: October 19, 2012, 11:32:31)

My suggestion that this file is actually missing in the update package. There is elder version of this file into the update package:

x86_microsoft-windows-w..ient-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_7.8.9200.16384_en-us_a38b2231f344ad4e

but it is not used.

I tried any available troubleshooters from Microsoft Website. "sfc /scannow" and "dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth" commands reports that there is no integrity violations.

At least I need that missing file, because I can add it to extracted package during update installation process to fix it.

I can't connect to Microsoft Windows 8 Update support team directly, because I have manufacturer license for Windows 8. Please, if you can, forward this message to them. I will stay in touch.

Best regards,

Vyacheslav.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unbelievable.   Ho can MS be so inept and break something that working perfectly?   I can even get Word 2010 to do a simple spelling check in Spanish.   This was working perfectly before upgrading to Win 8.  Version 8.1 did nothing to fix it.  as much-as I hate Apple at least their stuff works!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Talk about frustration.

I have German, and i cant even read a single word in German, i need it to go English and it is not. The language pack is not even highlighting for download.

MS is disappointing here.

I agree with RobertVega, i also hate Apple, but at least their stuff does what they say it should do.

So frustrated

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here with the French Language Pack... (on a Surface Pro since updated to 8.1) can't get the french language pack installed anymore... (I can't use handwriting in french using surface pro pen ! without the language pack)

here is the eventvwr error :

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: French Language Pack - Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems - (KB2839636) [fr-FR_LP].

after doing some Rajesh suggestion, i've been able to install it without error, but after restarting my surface i get this error : http://sdrv.ms/HJeHSW

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2023 Views 52,690 Applies to: