After Windows Update - Cannot Boot in Windows 8 Pro

Hi Guys,

I have a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro on a new PC and have done for some weeks. On Friday i hit the shutdown option Update and Restart. On the Saturday (yesterday) I turned on my machine to greeted with the Windows 8 Logo then a blank screen and doesn't boot at all into Windows (And not i have checked both monitors and they connected fine.

What was i doing just BEFORE "Update and Restart".......

1. Enabled UEFI on the BIOS
2. Installed the Hyper-V Windows 8 Features
3. Created and installed a Virtual Switch
4. Created and installed a Virtual Machine and installed Windows 8.
5. Onto the VM i installed Visual Studio 2012 Web (MVC4) and SQL Server Express 2012 (NOT LocalDb)

Then after than i ran the Windows Update on the main PC and pressed "Update and Restart".

What have I tried doing to resolve this issue?

Booted (F12) using the OEM Disc. I have then Repair your computer->Troubleshoot....

1.1 Advanced Options
1.2 Automatic Repair
1.3 This fails and I get the following error:

http://sdrv.ms/UyNy59

then i tried....

2.1 Refresh PC
2.2 I get the following error:

"The Drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again"

then i tried....

3.1 Reset PC
3.2 I get the following error:

"Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing"

then i tried....

4.1 System Restore
4.2 This fails and i get the following error:

http://sdrv.ms/UyO9nq

So I'm completely at a loss. I presume if I unlock the primary disk I should be able to boot or at least repair? Anyway i really dont want to wipe and uninstall if possible.

Hi garfbradazz,

Thank you for asking this question in Microsoft Community Forum!

I would suggest you to refer the below links.

Error: Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer when you try to install Windows Updates

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358#method3

Windows 8 restarts to a blank screen after a standard shutdown or hibernation

Note:

I would suggest you not try, in place Upgrade feature.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2756559

Hope this information will fix the issue. If you need further assistance, please feel free to reply.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am also seeing this error. I am trying to get a dual boot of XP and windows 8 with the Win8 boot loader. The only way to do this is to install XP first, and THEN create a partition to install windows 8 from. I successfully installed XP and created a separate partition, but does it need another partition labeled system or something to restore the image of my old windows 8 OS?

At this point I'm not too concerned if I get a factory fresh windows 8 to load or my saved image, (which is exported to USB using the windows 'create a recovery drive' utility).

Anyone work through this successfully?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem, I somehow fixed this. I do not recall exact steps, But here are the things which I tried.
I played with UEFI and BIOS Boot Settings, and somehow went to Desktop , There I uninstalled all the updates. I installed the updates again but manually one by one.  I know this is vague, But I was able to get onto Windows Desktop after the same conditions you described above.

Thanks,
Vinod

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem, I somehow fixed this. I do not recall exact steps, But here are the things which I tried.
I played with UEFI and BIOS Boot Settings, and somehow went to Desktop , There I uninstalled all the updates. I installed the updates again but manually one by one.  I know this is vague, But I was able to get onto Windows Desktop after the same conditions you described above.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2018 Views 2,407 Applies to: