windows update will not work error 8024A000

Brand new Toshiba laptop pre installed with windows 8, Window update has never run successfully.

After several days looking at and trying existing community querys/solutions I am still stuck .

-  sfc/scannow suggestion indicated no problems

- I have tried the windows update trouble shooter .. it runs "fixes  2items"  however still get 8024a000

- tried disabling AV  (mcafertee)

- Lowered IE security to minimal / enabled pop ups & cookies.

-  tried clean boot sugestions  disabling start-up items and services   .   still fails.

-  Unwilling to run any so called registry cleanup options as not sure what is really happening with these and not

confident they relate to windows 8.

All I really want to do is install my printer, however apparently the only way to get the relevant driver (according

to Brother) is via windows a update  .. catch 22

Any further assistance/sugestions would be appreciated.

Answer
Answer

Hi A Poynter,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums.

From the issue description, I understand that you have issues with install updates on Windows 8 computer.

I appreciate your efforts on this issue. I understand it must be frustrating, but rest assured, we are here to help you and guide you in the right direction.

-What is the model number of the printer?

As you have already tried possible troubleshooting steps, I would suggest you to try these methods and let us know the status.

Method 1

I would suggest you to scan your computer with Microsoft Safety Scanner, which would help us to get rid of viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.
The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx
Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.
Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 2

Check if the issue occurs in new Microsoft Account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-user-account

You can also go to printer manufacturer website and download the latest drivers and check.

Post back with the status. We will be glad to help you.

Regards,
Anil

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 2,518 Applies to: