(windows 8) windows update stuck at "downloading updates, 0 percent complete"

ive left it for 5 minutes now and all i get is this : http://imgur.com/vAIxmpA

help me, please
Answer
Answer
Don't know if this will help everyone experiencing the same issue, but I suggest being patient. Just to be clear, not while waiting for an answer here from someone at Microsoft who actually understands the question, but while attempting a first-time Windows Update on a new machine.

I just ran WU for the first time on a brand new machine, and experienced the same issue as Freddie and Jas. After about 15 minutes, I started to google, and ended up here. Then I followed the link given in Karthik's "Method 1" above, only to find that it is a dead link.

Then I went to google some more, and happened to glance at the new machine, by that time 20-25 minutes after starting WU, and lo and behold, it was "preparing to install", and is now, as I type, installing update 23 of 73.

What I suspect is that the download progress is not being reported, thus it shows 0% until all updates have been downloaded, which could take a while for a new machine running WU for the first time, depending on how many updates there are and your connection speed.

I'd suggest at least an hour before aborting if nothing happens.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2021 Views 11,365 Applies to: