Question

Q: Update failure issue for KB2760600: fail code 80070652

Have repeated failure to successfully perform this "important" MS OneNote 2010 security update-32Bit on my Lenovo Z580. Keep getting above code which does not reference to anything I can find in self-diag feature or online in order to fix. Tried to unselect and hide the update, but it keeps returning. Is it because this is for "32-bit" and my laptop is 64? If so, why does MS keep sending it? Any ideas? Thx! 

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community Forums.

Based on the information, you are receiving error code “80070652”, when installing security update for OneNote 2010.

It would be helpful if you could reply to the question to assist you better.

Do you have Office 2010 32bit or 64bit version installed?

This update is for the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Microsoft OneNote 2010. This is a security update which is an important update for OneNote.

Since it is an important update, you have to install it.

The pre- requisite for this security update is that you must have Service Pack 1 for Microsoft OneNote 2010 installed on the computer

For further information, refer to the article:

Description of the security update for Microsoft OneNote: March 12, 2013

Error 80070652 means that a previous installation has not been completed successfully. Restarting computer generally fixes this issue.

If the issue persists after restarting the system, then try the following steps and check if it helps.

Method 1:

You may try running the Windows Update troubleshooter and check if it helps.

For further information, refer to the article:

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Method 2:

You may try installing the standalone package of the update in Clean boot state and check if it helps.

You may try to download the standalone package of the update according to the version (32bit or 64bit) of Office 2010 installed on your computer.

Security Update for Microsoft OneNote 2010 (KB2760600) 32-Bit Edition  

Security Update for Microsoft OneNote 2010 (KB2760600) 64-Bit Edition

Note: After installing the update, try the steps provided in the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” to boot the system in normal startup.

Hope the information helps.

Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I don't actually know whether I have the 32- or 64-Bit edition of OneNote, nor do I know how to verify this. My apologies, but OneNote is new to me. It just sort of showed up as part of something else, Office for Home/Student 2010 I think, when I recently downloaded Windows 8 as an upgrade to the Windows 7 which came with this recently purchased laptop. I'm afraid I'm not very conversant on 8 as yet.

Any help as to resolve the question of which version and how to proceed from this point would be much appreciated...thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
I did try the suggested solutions as I have the same problem. I have the 32-bit version of Microsoft OneNote 2010.
None of the proposed solutions worked for me, not even to manually download and install the Security Update.
Any other suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have also just tried the manual download and clean boot solutions with no success.

Further suggestions, please?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have discovered I have 32-bit version of OneNote after re-try of manual download.

Re-tried 'clean boot' suggestion...it worked: updates loaded successfully.

Follow-up question: must I now undo the changes I had to make in System Configuration in order to do the clean boot? Do I just reverse exactly those changes in order to restore my Startup settings as they were? Or do I just leave everything as is now in clean boot mode?

Please advise.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for the update.

Good to know that you were able to fix the issue and thank you for sharing the information.

Since you tried to fix issue by performing the clean boot, you need to follow these steps to place the computer back to normal startup.

a. On the Start screen, type msconfig, and then press Enter.

b. On the General tab, tap or click the Normal Startup option.

c. Tap or click the Services tab and clear the check box beside Hide all Microsoft services, and then tap or click Enable all.

d. Next, tap or click the Startup tab, and then tap or click Open Task Manager.

e. In task manager, enable all of your startup programs, and then tap or click OK.

f. When you are prompted to restart the computer, tap or click Restart.

Hope the information helps.

Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried my updates in the clean boot state .... and it did not work .... I did every step more than twice ...and the updates still stuck at the same point ....... I want to really get rid of this problem because it became really very annoying!!!!

and that what i get, and it's stuck at that point for the whole day: (sometimes I get that the update failed)
Plz ...... help me if there are any better suggestions

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,236 Last updated: March 24, 2018 Applies to: