Installing updates hangs at 13%

Yes.  An update for Windows 8 has been released that addresses a set of post-launch issues.  You will not be notified that this update is available during the first 24 hours after you run Windows 8 for the first time, however you can manually check for and install this update at any time.

If you are experiencing any problems with your Windows 8 installation, make sure you have installed the latest updates by following these steps:

1.     At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

2.     Tap or click Settings.

3.     Tap or click Install optional updates.

4.     Tap or click the link that says an important update is available.  If you want to install any optional updates that are available, you can click the link notifying you that optional updates are available as well.

Check all of the updates you want to install and then tap or click the Install button.  You will need to reboot your PC after installing the update for the changes to go into effect.
Installed Windows 7 midday October 25th, performed update and when installing it hangs at 13% complete for hours and then will restart continues to configure windows updates, remains at 13%.... Now stuck.  Cold boot right back to 13% and stops.  

So for hours now the only thing I see is the nice blue screen saying configuring updates.... I knew I should have waited until sp1 was released .

Any thoughts?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I managed to solve this I think.  My daughter has a HP ENVY sleekbook.  I restarted the machine pressing esc to enter rescue options and this gave some windows 8 options for a restore.  I chose to restore and keep files.  Then when it eventually restarted (10 mins or so of cleaning up) I turned off windows update and set about installing the new BIOS (even though HP say do this before Windows 8 installation).  Now I am installing all of the driver updates.  Fingers crossed everything will be fine now. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Having the same issue...hangs @ 13%. HP notebook 2235US

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not surprised.  For years HP has continued to use characters in their file names that no longer exist in the Windows legitimate character set.  There are a number of special characters that are allowed in DOS file names.  ~ ! @ # $ % ^ & ( ) _ – { } `

Many of these characters aren't allowed as Windows filenames but if you look at the names used by HP drivers you'll often see one of the DOS only characters.

I discovered this when WinPatrol PLUS members reported failures while requesting PLUS Info.  It took a short time to track down the problem but it was specific to HP files.  When I looked at the fulI path I noticed older DOS allowed characters in the filenames. (Guess it helps to be an old guy )

I can't say for sure if the update problem is related to the use of DOS characters but it wouldn't surprise me.  Might be a good time for Microsoft and HP to get together. Even if this isn't the cause of the update problem it will become an issue for programs besides my WinPatrol.

Bill Pytlovany
MVP Consumer Security
BillP Studios | http://www.BillP.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I've been fighting with this all day. I have only had the HP Envy two days. Today, of course, it hung at 13% and was in a continous loop. Because of the way the HP was configured, I could not enter Safe mode (UEFI didn't take me there), the HP troubleshooting tools at boot were no help either. Because the computer was only a couple of days old, I only had three restore points.

I tried everything I could think of, and I even got Deb Shinder involved. Nothing....

What worked was restoring to the first restore point. This failed the first two times I tried it, but the third time was a charm. Unfortunately. I spend the rest of the day putting Office, graphics programs, and the like back on it. Bah.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Running a Lenovo desktop with Windows 8 Pro.... upgraded from Windows 7 a few days ago. Having the exact same problem with this new update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I uninstalled the IDT audio driver on my Pavillion M6 and the the update installed. YMMV.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem on hp laptop every single update hangs up on 13% then restarts after probably 15-20 min then start the update Nd stops at 13% every single time

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My suggestion to everyone is to get to System Restore- then pick one from two or three days ago. If it fails the first time, try another restore point, perhaps an even earlier one. Good luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here. Latest update stops at 13%. Reboots and installs in a endless loop.  Lenovo all-in-on PC.

Save mode booting doesn't work with shift/F8 anymore since Windows 8 !!! 

My PC is garbage now. Thanks Microsoft for that crappy Windows 8. 

I'm gonna buy a Mac now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a HP Sleekbook with the same problem.  I let the machine try the update and I manually restarted three times since I thought my OS was bricked.  I decided to just leave the machine on and it took a couple of hours but the update reversed itself and my OS was fine.  I will try deleting the the audio driver and see what happens.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 7, 2021 Views 8,422 Applies to: