$14.99 Windows 8 Pro Upgrade, will it work for Windows 8 (plain version)?

I recently purchased a Dell 660 Inspiron deskttop PC, it comes with the plain version of Windows 8.  I'd like to upgrade it to Windows 8 Pro.  Two questions. 

1. Would the $14.99 upgrade being offered at http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/ work to upgrade a PC such as mine? 
  2. Does my PC qualify for the $14.99 offer and, if so, how do I get past the registration screen asking for the Windows 7 ID number?

Thank you in advance and my apologies for not being able to find the answer using the online search facility.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thank you in advance and my apologies for not being able to find the answer using the online search facility.

<<https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/>>

See Program Information and FAQ links, above, for full offer details.

I would suggest you to contact Microsoft Store Support.

Refer to the links:

<<http://support.microsoft.com/gp/esd-support-phone-numbers>>

<<http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Site_Contact_Us>>

UTC/GMT is 20:31 on Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your answer.  I did contact MS Support and MS Store customer service.  They gave contradictory answers.  So, I thought I'd ask the Community for the REAL answer, not the official MS-party response.

Anyone else out there have any practical experience dealing with this question?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Thank you.  Will do.

Sorry this didn't help.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello 1dash1,

I don't know what  you were told, but for Windows Media Center, you need to have the version Windows 8 Pro to install the Windows Media Center key.

Hope this helps with your question.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Sorry this didn't help.

I spent 45 minutes with MS Store Customer Service.  The Customer Service Representative was able to install the WIndows 8 Pro Upgrade for $14.99 on my PC.

It was a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.  It included remote access into my system, where the CSR had to make a number of changes to system defaults to (A) get the upgrade offer accepted and (B) get the upgrade installed.

I was lucky that the CSR had the technical knowledge to do this and the willingness to assist me.  It would have been very easy for the CSR to have copped out with the official party line (the $14.99  WIndows 8 Pro Upgrade is intended only for Windows 7 and is not available for any other operating system upgrade).   That may not be true of others who may want to try this, so YMMV.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I know.

I registered for the free Windows Media Center upgrade and, according to MS, should receive it within 72 hours.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you all for your responses.

Having talked with several Dell and MS technical service representatives beforehand, I was reasonably certain that it was possible to make the upgrade via the $14.99 offer - just wasn't sure what hoops I needed to jump through in order to get it.

Based on the responses here, it seems that the process is pretty much undocumented and the knowledge of its availability is not wide spread.  Probably for good reason - MS can't afford spending 45 minutes for every customer who wanted to make such an upgrade.

Sorry this didn't help.

I spent 45 minutes with MS Store Customer Service.  The Customer Service Representative was able to install the WIndows 8 Pro Upgrade for $14.99 on my PC.

It was a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.  It included remote access into my system, where the CSR had to make a number of changes to system defaults to (A) get the upgrade offer accepted and (B) get the upgrade installed.

I was lucky that the CSR had the technical knowledge to do this and the willingness to assist me.  It would have been very easy for the CSR to have copped out with the official party line (the $14.99  WIndows 8 Pro Upgrade is intended only for Windows 7 and is not available for any other operating system upgrade).   That may not be true of others who may want to try this, so YMMV.

Glad to help and thanx for updating the thrəad.

UTC/GMT is 22:09 on Sunday, January 06, 2013            

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow.

I called the 877-254-4698 Microsoft number to ask 2 questions.  How much will they charge me to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 8.1 Pro and where is the link to download the pack.

Woman at that number forwarded me to sales.  I asked the same question again.  Sales said he's sending me off to tech support.  I said "hold on, your sales....how much to upgrade".  After some time he said upgrading Office would cost $$$ dollars.  I said upgrade Windows.

He later came back....after 15 minutes and said $199.99.  I said for the upgrade?  He said yes.  I told him I want to speak to someone else.  He said he can't find anyone.  I said I need your supervisor.  He said he can't get a hold of one.

After some minor words from my end he got someone on the phone to tell me that "Carlile must have hit the wrong button".  Hey it's obvious it's not Carlile's problem if he was not trained to answer that question.

Now I got the real scoop.  $99.

Microsoft.....................really?????

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 342 Applies to: