Windows 8 Apps Not Updating?

I installed Windows 8 yesterday (27 October 2012).

Interesting... Microsoft still doesn't seem to understand smooth integration / implementation, and has some serious issues with abandoning accepted standards (POP3!!!!!!!!!!!) but that's another story.

In the App Store, I had six apps that said they had updates available. I selected all of them and selected Install.

Nothing appears to be happening... green dots are flying across the top of the screen, but nothing appears to be updating.

My system date is correct, time is correct, everything else is just fine. I updated an app after first installing Windows 8, and it updated very quickly.

Those apps just don't seem to be updating.

Any ideas? Is the updater bogging down as X number of people attempt to update the same apps at the same time?

I'm on Verizon FIOS and my internet speed is pretty darn good (download speed 77.96 Mbps upload speed 48.52 Mbps from Virginia to test server in Pennsylvania) so I don't think that is the issue.

Question Info

Last updated February 3, 2019 Views 39,134 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Thanks for the replies... apparently all I had to do was restart the computer, although it never said anything about restarting.

When I restarted, it ran through updates similar to how Windows 7 updated, then when the Start home came up, I went to the Store and checked the apps, and they were all pending, then they updated.

Was excited initially because the Mail app updated... then went to add an account, and saw they had POP3 on the list... but that was like some kind of cruel joke, because then all it did was say it didn't support POP3.

Outlook Express, Outlook, Windows Live Mail... they all supported POP3. It's pretty senseless that the Mail app in Windows 8 doesn't.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.