Lenovo computer with Retail Windows 8 License cannot download Lenovo OEM Channel apps

Hello,

It seems that people who bought computers with Windows 7 that are now sold as Windows 8 machines, and then bought Windows 8 retail licenses to upgrade their machines, cannot download the apps from the app store to drive their hardware!

The Lenovo App Channel is locked to Lenovo OEM Windows Licenses. because I have a retail license, I cannot install this app: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/3078e868-a336-4a13-af40-8f37982cf591

Can you provide information and/or a possible fix?

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 2,139 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This is an issue you should take up with Lenovo support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,
I and many others have. Lenovo blames Microsoft for how channel IDs work with the full Win8 release. Can you offer any more concrete feedback that I can pass back to Lenovo support? They say they cannot fix this because the store blocks OEM apps to retail licenses 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,
I and many others have. Lenovo blames Microsoft for how channel IDs work with the full Win8 release. Can you offer any more concrete feedback that I can pass back to Lenovo support? They say they cannot fix this because the store blocks OEM apps to retail licenses 

Here's an example of how CPE for Windows 8 sucks right now.  And all the finger pointing will do is push paying customers to other platforms.  That Google Chrome Book is looking nice, and so does that Apple Mac.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8/ThinkPad-software-for-Windows-8/td-p/899865

Its a Microsoft issue with the way the app store is currently designed to work.... something that MS hadn't thought through very well.

Expect to see some more things like this arise in terms of the Win 8 eco-systemi!

Cheers,

Bill

cc..

Sorry this didn't help.

I seems silly that Lenovo would put something in the Windows Store knowing that it would be locked only to OEM licenses or make it clear on the advert.

Is what you are looking downloadable from the Lenovo site, you would have been directed there anyways, or would that have been locked also by their OEM restrictions. 

Lenovo's own internal restrictions have created this problem, not Microsoft.  Nevertheless, finger pointing never solves anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

Its simple:

• Generic Windows install on x64 machine: 10005001
  • Microsoft Surface: 10082778
  • Asus Vivo Tab RT: 10018804
  • Lenovo: 10012072 and 71

These channel IDs enable OEMS to reach their customers through the win store homepage, featuring their custom software.

The OEMs are limited to 5 apps max and 60MB total so dependencies are downloaded separately through OEMs webpage.

Since the Appstore and the default setting of windows are not allowing you to actually sideload metro apps they are unable (i would guess also by terms of the store) to offer appx's in question through OEMs page.

Does it make it clear?

Sorry this didn't help.

So what is the solution?

Its simple:

These channel IDs enable OEMS to reach their customers through the win store homepage, featuring their custom software.

The OEMs are limited to 5 apps max and 60MB total so dependencies are downloaded separately through OEMs webpage.

Since the Appstore and the default setting of windows are not allowing you to actually sideload metro apps they are unable (i would guess also by terms of the store) to offer appx's in question through OEMs page.

Does it make it clear?

Sorry this didn't help.

So what is the solution?

MS to issue hotfixes to change channel IDs for respective OEMs OR allow OEMs to release their appx's on support pages to be able to sideload them.

Otherwise buying the Win8 license is a joke.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a Lenovo issue because of how they publish their software. No matter they won't allow you to say it aloud in their forum without the post getting deleted. Microsoft is only enforcing the policies made by Lenovo. What do you hope they to do? Same applies for developers who will only publish their apps for certain countries.

Sorry this didn't help.

I to updated to Win 8 from a posting on the Lenovo UK website that sent me to the MS shop.  The update started well up until MS support got involved.  They failed to Identify (fix) the problems and caused a complete systems failure with a remote sign on window that kicked in the antivirus.  I ended up having to to a complete clean installation and reload all my software.  Since then I only have a couple of issues unresolved. Switchable Graphics does not work, Battery life is drastically reduced, No NumLock on fast boot, and the Mail App is a joke.  I can work around and live with these but I should not have to.  Lenovo, AMD Intel and Microsoft all point the finger at each other but it is the Software that makes Hardware work.  This should all have been identified when I the Upgrade Assistant Report was run and by Lenovo support notes.  I for one  would not have paid for the upgrade if I had known in advance of these problems.  
It should not matter whose at fault MS should get it sorted as they took the money.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Its simple:

I'm stuck in this mess as well.  Having purchased a current Lenovo X1 Carbon that came with Win7.  I used my own Win8 license to perform a clean install and now am stranded without support from either Lenovo or Microsoft with regards to these setting and configuration apps.

Add to this that I have the media centre key installed...  would this have also impacted an OEM Win8 install's channel ID?

Sorry this didn't help.