Installed Metro App, Tile Blank / Invisible / Non-interactable

I had setup a non-administrative account.  Logged into the new profile, went to the store.  I installed a variety of apps, including Cut The Rope.  However, on that user's start menu, the 1x2 tile where CTR should be is oddly blank.  If I move other apps around, the blank/invisible tile moves around as if it's there.

Because I cannot click or right click on it, I can't seem to uninstall it to reinstall it.  If I search in Apps for "cut", it shows one result.  If I just hit "enter", it opens the App.

How do I fix the dead tile? There appears to be no option to reinstall from the Store.  When I go into the Store under that user, I can go (via charms, Accounts) to the View Your Apps.  It's in that list, but I can't select any apps on that list to delete or install.

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2013 Views 1,746 Applies to:
Answer

Suffering this same issue. The mail, calendar, people, etc are "installed" but I can't see them or open them. Also, in the start screen preview when I over in the bottom left, there are all black tiles where they used to be.

I believe this started happening since I installed new AMD drivers, so I'm going to attempt to revert to older drivers which didn't have this issue.

*Edit* Okay, I found a workaround. First, open Powershell as an Administrator (right click the tile and its an option at the bottom app bar). Then, type in this command:

Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers

This will get a list of all of the apps on your machine. Look for microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps in this list.

Next, use this command

Remove-AppxPackage FullPackageNameHere

Replace "FullPackageNameHere" with the FullPackageName entry from the previous command. It's going to look something like this (but yours may possibly be different!): microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_16.2.3258.308_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Then you're done! They are now uninstalled, and you can now reinstall them from the store.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.