I didn't know that Windows 8 did not contain Windows Office. Is it possible to uninstall this Windows 8, have it refunded, and just get the Windows 8 version that has Windows Office?

So basically I've spent roughly $80 on something that doesn't have what I need. I was apparently misinformed. I just really really want the office for school, etc. I thought Windows 8, being the new thing, would have that. Then "Windows 8 Pro" was on the box, so I was like "oh, this has to be the full set". Apparently not. Bottom line, is there a way to get the Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, in particular) into this computer? I don't care if with or without the Windows 8 OS, but I'd really rather have my money back from the Windows 8 if I could have just added the Windows Office without the 8 part. Thanks
Answer
Answer

No version of Windows has ever included Office.

Some OEMs or retailers may have added a basic version of Office to computers they sell (and perhaps adjusted the retail price accordingly), but if you buy a copy of the Windows OS, be it XP, Vista, 7 or 8, you will not get a copy of Office included.  You can always add Office by buying an appropriate copy.  Since you mention "school" you may be able to get a cheap student edition, and you should enquire through your school if they have any deals available for their students.

The only exception to what I have said is Windows RT which does include a version of Office.  But this is a special case.  Windows RT does not run on x86 or x64 processors that all other versions of Windows run on, but rather runs on ARM processors.  Further this version cannot run any 3rd party standard Windows programs.  Also Windows RT is not available for retail sale and only comes pre-installed on particular ARM based tablets etc.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 1,118 Applies to: