Cannot access Windows 8 App Store or any app associated with it.

I downloaded Windows 8 Pro on Nov 1 , 2012 . Everything was working fine until today. Now I cannot access the Windows App Store or any app associated with it. I am receiving NO ERROR MESSAGE . The little circle thing just keps turning and turning. Without having an error message I have no idea where to start in finding what is causing me to be unable to connect. I have looked online for a solution but they all say they are receiving an error message saying "App Store cannot connect to internet."  I cannot find a post anywhere with someone having the exact problem as me.  CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM ? Is anyone else having this problem ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

NOTE
------ I have tried all solutions i have found online short of System Refresh because I am still waiting for my Windows 8 Pro backup DVD from Microsoft.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Nikups,

Thank you for the post. I am sorry to hear that you are unable to open Windows store and apps on the computer.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will certainly help you with this.

Let's follow these methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Make sure that the date and time are correct on the computer.

a. Check the setting for Date/Time by choosing the Desktop tile and then left click on the date/time in the corner.

b. Click on change date and time settings. And then verify the time zone is correct as well as the internet time tab has the option to Synchronize with Internet time server.

Method 2: Download and run the app troubleshooter and check.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Follow the suggestion from Steven. S replied on June 16, 2012

Some or all of my Metro style apps fail to run.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-winapps/some-or-all-of-my-metro-style-apps-fail-to-run/e89549cc-a369-4cf4-97f7-53040f6e037a

Method 3: Check in Safe mode with Networking

Boot the computer in Safe mode with Networking and check if the issue persists. Follow these steps to start the computer in safe mode.

a)      Press the ‘Windows + C’ key on the keyboard.

b)      Click on settings, more pc settings and then general.

c)      Scroll down to advanced startup, click restart now.

d)      Click on troubleshoot, advanced options, Windows Startup Settings.

e)      Click restart, select safe mode with networking and then press enter.

Note: Restart the computer to start in normal mode.

Method 4: If the issue does not persists in safe mode then perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts. Follow these steps to start the computer in clean boot.

Step 1:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.

d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.

e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.

f) On the ‘StartUp’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.

g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step 2: Enable half of the services

a) Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.

b) Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.

c) Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.

d) Click OK, and then click Restart.

Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Service list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to step 4.

Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Startup Item list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 6: Resolve the problem

After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

Step 7:

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

For more information, visit the following links.

What to do if you have problems with an app

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Connect to the Internet

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/connect-to-the-internet

Hope it helps. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. It is our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thank you.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm having the exact same problem. I already tried the troubleshooter, but the problem persisted. I'm going to try by rebooting the computer on safe mode, but I wanted to know if you could already fix it...

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same issue it sits and spins, everything else works. Tried running the troubleshooter and it has given me 4 different results each time none of which are helpful.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine doesn't even bring up the circle saying it's loading. It just brings up the splash screen and then goes back to my start screen instantly. :/

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also having the same issues but with other apps as well, Store, Photo, IE, Weather, etc... I'm getting the spinning circle, just a plain screen, app starts the reverts back to the Start page.  I have not seen anything that corrects the issue yet.

Sorry this didn't help.

Whilst in Safe Mode after following the instructions for Method 3, I tried entering the Store and got the following message: "Store can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator Account.  Sign in with a different account and try again."  So I switched accounted and entered Safe Mode again.  I tried to enter the Store again and got the little circle thing, which kept turning and turning.  

What should I try now?

Sorry this didn't help.

Whilst in Safe Mode after following the instructions for Method 3, I tried entering the Store and got the following message: "Store can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator Account.  Sign in with a different account and try again."  So I switched accounted and entered Safe Mode again.  I tried to enter the Store again and got the little circle thing, which kept turning and turning.  

What should I try now?

I am in safe mode with networking right now, and I'm having the same problem as you MPC Spragge. With so many windows 8 pro users experiencing the same issue for so long is ridiculous. When is Microsoft going to fix this issue??? I'm jonesing for my Mahjong and Solitaire Suite games :-(

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Marty,

Thank you for your response.

Here are few troubleshooting methods that you may try in order to fix the issue.

Method 1: Clear the store cache and check.

a. Press "Windows key + R".

b. Type wsreset.exe and click OK.

Method 2: Disable the proxy server and check.

a. Open Internet Explorer
b. Click Tools and then click Internet Options.
c. Then click the Connections tab.
d. Then click the LAN Settings button.
e. Then Uncheck the option which reads” Use a proxy server for your LAN”

f. Click apply and then ok.

Method 3: Perform clean boot and check.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please note: After the troubleshooting, make sure to boot your computer to normal mode by following the step 3.

For more information, refer to the link.

What to do if you have problems with an app

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

If the issue persists or you have further questions on Windows, please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be glad to help you.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Sharief K! I have tried everything. Everything you listed above, along with all other methods listed on any forum regarding Windows 8 and not being able to login to the store or my MS Solitaire and MS Mahjong games on my laptop. This has been going on for weeks and I am really needing my MS games fix, bad :-) Anyhow, right now I am in clean boot and still have same problem. I clean booted to local account (here now) and still cannot login to my games or the app store. The trouble shooter acts like it is working, keeps saying something about my display driver (I have the most recent nVidia driver from nVidia). After I reboot, nothing has changed. I am so frustrated right now after weeks of taking all of these steps and being unsuccessful with all of them. I would think that Microsoft would have a permanent fix that works the first time. Especially with so many paying customers having the same issue. Is there anything not listed in any of the forums and fixes that show up when I do a Google search  for not being able to login to windows 8 store or apps? I even reset windows 8 not to long ago and that didn't even work???

Thanks in advance Sharief!

Marty

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks a ton to you Mr SK for fixing my issue.....................

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2020 Views 33,471 Applies to: