Windows 8 Upgrade Download Clean Install

Do I need to reinstall Windows 7 before installing the Windows 8 upgrade each time or only on the first activation if I wipe the hard drive MBR with the diskpart "clean" command?  I have the download version of the Windows 8 upgrade.  I wiped the drive MBR using diskpart "clean" command after booting from the Windows 7 DVD and using the Shift-F10 command prompt and then installed Windows 7 and activated it by phone.  After activating Windows 7 I then rebooted from the Windows 8 DVD I created from the upgrade assistant and then deleted all the Windows 7 partitions and then clicked next without rebooting to install Windows 8 and when Windows 8 finished installing it was activated in the background.  Do I need to reinstall both Windows 7 and then 8 each time I do a clean from the diskpart utility?  The Windows 7 reserved partition is 100MB and the Windows 8 reserved partition is 350MB but to get this size I needed to delete the existing partitions before continuing with the Windows 8 install.  It takes double the amount of time to install Windows 8 each time I clean the drive with the diskpart utility due to the compliance check.  To avoid having to reinstall Windows 7 every time I do a full clean of all partitions I would need to get a refund for the upgrade and buy the system builder edition.

Hi KeithWeisshar,

Thank you for contacting Windows 8 Microsoft Community.

I gather that you have purchased an upgrade version of Windows 8 and would like to know if you need to re-install Windows 7 first and then install Windows 8 upgrade version every time you wipe the hard-drive.

In order to re-install Windows 8 without having to re-install Windows 7 first you need to use an image file of Windows 8. You already seem to have created a Windows 8 ISO image disk from the Windows 8 Upgrade assistant. Whenever you need to re-format/clean the hard-drive and re-install Windows 8 you can re-install from the image of Windows 8 rather than going through the re-installation of Window 7 and then Windows 8 upgrade. However, please remember to save your Windows 8 Product Key to be able to re-install Windows 8 from the Windows 8 image disk.

Hope the above information answers your query. Please let us know if you need any further information or assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there,

My Windows 8 (Upgraded from Windows 7) failed to start today (I found a KB solving the issue but it was already too late =)), so I decided to reinstall it from the CD that came with the upgrade package (I've bought the upgrade package at one of my local retailers). During the installation I selected Custom install and formatted my system drive. The installation went fine however I am unable to activate windows anymore with the key that worked fine during the upgrade. The activation program says that the key is wrong and that I should try another one.

Do I have to reinstall Windows 7 and upgrade or do I do something wrong?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,233 Applies to: