Windows 8 Upgrade Download Backup DVD

When purchasing the Windows 8 Upgrade Download I selected the option to add the Backup DVD for $14.99.  Is the Backup DVD a pressed DVD or a custom burned DVD-R?  Why does the DVD created from the ISO have install.esd instead of install.wim?  The DVD has a volume label of ESD-ISO.  What's the difference between the ESD DVD and the normal retail DVD?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have just rang Microsoft as I have upgraded to the 32bit version (didn't give me a choice), but I wanted the 64 bit version and they have told me to order the DVD and both bit versions will be on it - have they lied to me just to make more money?!

Hi lads,

I installed Windows 8 via the online upgrade and also ordered the backup disc. I had the same problem with the 32-bit upgrade, as my XP copy was a very old 32-bit version but I upgraded my hardware to 64-bit in 2008.

In the meantime, I downloaded a copy of the Windows 8 64-bit ISO, burnt it to disc and did fresh install. All is well, my license key worked and I'm now running the 64-bit version.You don't need to buy a copy of the Windows DVD, just download it, burn it and install it. The license key you've already paid for will do the job. Either do that or read through your reciept email and see if you can just order the backup DVD for £12.99.

The backup disc took about 2 weeks to arrive and I can confirm it does come with both 32-bit and 64-bit installation discs.

I'm based in the UK and the disc had it printed on it that it was sent from Ireland, if that helps anybody.

Cheers

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have just rang Microsoft as I have upgraded to the 32bit version (didn't give me a choice), but I wanted the 64 bit version and they have told me to order the DVD and both bit versions will be on it - have they lied to me just to make more money?!

Hi lads,

I installed Windows 8 via the online upgrade and also ordered the backup disc. I had the same problem with the 32-bit upgrade, as my XP copy was a very old 32-bit version but I upgraded my hardware to 64-bit in 2008.

In the meantime, I downloaded a copy of the Windows 8 64-bit ISO, burnt it to disc and did fresh install. All is well, my license key worked and I'm now running the 64-bit version.You don't need to buy a copy of the Windows DVD, just download it, burn it and install it. The license key you've already paid for will do the job. Either do that or read through your reciept email and see if you can just order the backup DVD for £12.99.

The backup disc took about 2 weeks to arrive and I can confirm it does come with both 32-bit and 64-bit installation discs.

I'm based in the UK and the disc had it printed on it that it was sent from Ireland, if that helps anybody.

Cheers

Hi Phil,

I'm just curious, how did you download a copy of W8?

I've already paid for and downloaded the 32b, but wanted the 64b, so I don't really want to pay for it again.

Thank you for confirming the DVD has both 32b and 64b, I will order that but if theres a way to download the ISO, I can get started installing the 64b now instead of waiting for the DVD.

Kind regards,

Tim

Sorry this didn't help.

yeah i read it, i hope you werent expecting someone from Microsoft to jump on here and tell everyone that everything will be ok and poof we have our back up dvd, cuz it isnt happening. as far as a read so far this is not just an isolated insident, its happend to everyone that ordered the damn thing. no has got their back up dvd yet and no one has gotten a for sure reason why we havent gotten them and calling them is a bust cuz on the part of this issue people have been saying that they havent been getting anywhere on the phone either, thats if you can even get a live person on the phone. i feel like i have been robbed even though it was only $14.99 for the dvd the point is that we should get what we paid for and it just doesnt seem like its happening

I feel the same Robbed... the point of buying a backup for me was that since we have a limited bandwidth I can avoid downloading the win 8 pro and instead use backup DVD for a clean install on my PC.... also I paid around 1450 Indian rupees, that a 10 days of food supply for a family... so its a lot where I stand.

I finally got the DVD and it has both the 32 and 64 bit DVDs.... I think MS can improve the process it got shipped from somewhere in Ireland, while the same could have been done in India or any other Asian country based on the delivery address and sent so that the transit time is less and also the cost. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes you will receive both 32 and 64 bit dvd

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, I have a question, what box does the backup dvd's come in? Does it come in the standard retail box that you can get at stores?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, I have a question, what box does the backup dvd's come in? Does it come in the standard retail box that you can get at stores?
All you get is the simple CD cover with 2 DVD's no retail box.

Sorry this didn't help.

To those still having questions about the DVD installation discs and whether you can use the 64bit version too:

If you order the backup DVD set you'll get two discs, 32 and 64bit, and you'll be able to install either of them with the license number you've bought on line.

I've bought it myself for my laptop, that has an OEM (Acer) 32bit version of Windows Vista pre-installed. I was able to update it to 32bit Windows 8 via the on line initiated installation.
After I received my DVD set I tried to install the 64bit version from DVD. And that worked too.

The big difference is that I was not able to upgrade to a 64bit Windows 8 when starting from a 32bit Windows environment (either from Vista 32bit or from Windows 8 32bit) and hold on to any files and programs already installed. But that was no problem for me. If it is for you then you must make backups of your files before proceeding and make sure that you have the desired programs handy for re-installation.

Also take a note about drivers. Only 64bit drivers are allowed in such an environment and you'll want devices like your printer still to be working. So check it out at the manufacturers sites to see that they have them. They don't have to be specifically written for Windows 8. If they are a Windows 7 64bit version they'll work too (but if 8 version is there choose that one).

Hope this info helps out.
Cheers,
Neo

Sorry this didn't help.

I ordered the backup DVD, and it came in the mail a few weeks later. It cam with 2 DVD's one for 32bit, and one for 64bit

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got my Backup DVD in the mail I ordered in November...  It comes in a little blue paper sleeve that says Windows 8 and has 2 DVD's, one sleeve says 32-bit and the other says 64-bit.

I just noticed now that it installed the wrong version of Windows 8 that I paid for! It installed the regular windows 8 !!   I double checked my receipts and I paid for the professional version and that should have been mailed to me.

Also, these DVD's have the version and CD-KEY burned-in to them, so you cannot use these on a different machine.

I got microshafted.  Thanks a bunch.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If you payed for a professional version of Windows 8 then that is what you should have received. You should have received a license registration key for Windows 8 Pro and a set of 2 DVD's that contain both 32 and 64 bit versions of both Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro.
You should contact Microsoft for this error on their part asap.

Use the information below on how to proceed with this:

Returns / Refunds

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Return_Exchange

Contact Microsoft Customer service immediately:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 8,811 Applies to: