Windows 8 Upgrade Download Backup DVD

When purchasing the Windows 8 Upgrade Download I selected the option to add the Backup DVD for $14.99.  Is the Backup DVD a pressed DVD or a custom burned DVD-R?  Why does the DVD created from the ISO have install.esd instead of install.wim?  The DVD has a volume label of ESD-ISO.  What's the difference between the ESD DVD and the normal retail DVD?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It is a pressed DVD just like what you get in the box, just that it doesn't come with the product key.

The Install.esd which means electronic software delivery is similar to the .ISO file you would download.

Q: What is the difference between downloading Windows 8 as a .ISO file versus using the Web Installer?

A: It’s the same files, no different, one provides a convenient option for you to have a backup copy handy if you need to repair or reinstall Windows 8. The previous Box files setup experience in Windows 7 was difficult to use and confusing and usually left users without a backup copy which they had to download again and burn to a disc.

Whether you create a copy on a USB thumb drive or DVD, it is the same as the DVD ISO Image. You get the same class drivers for your hardware, no different.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Will this Back-up Dvd contain both the 32bit and 64bit architecture? Or only the architecture that got installed with the download (which didn't give me the option to choose, and now I'm stuck with a 32 bit version).

Sorry this didn't help.

Will the backup DVD be 64-bit if I run the upgrade assistance from the 64-bit OS?

Sorry this didn't help.

Will this Back-up Dvd contain both the 32bit and 64bit architecture? Or only the architecture that got installed with the download (which didn't give me the option to choose, and now I'm stuck with a 32 bit version).

No, in order to install Windows 8 64 bit, you will need to download the .ISO from the Order Page.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Will the backup DVD be 64-bit if I run the upgrade assistance from the 64-bit OS?

Yes, it will be.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

I have already downloaded windows 8 where can I buy the dvd

Sorry this didn't help.

No, in order to install Windows 8 64 bit, you will need to download the .ISO from the Order Page.

Hi Andre,

I am in the same boat here. I have upgraded my 32bit Windows XP (from 2002 would you believe!) to Windows 8 Pro via the online Installer upgrade. I also ordered the backup DVD. Since installing Windows 8 and can see from my system info that my CPU is 64bit capable (the XP OS maybe from 2002 but I upgrade the PC itself in 2008). So of course I'd now much prefer to be running a 64bit Windows.

I see you're saying the backup dvd I'll be receiving in the post will not allow me to upgrade to 64bit? When you say download the .ISO from the order page, what exactly does that mean? Where would I find this order page?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Phil

Sorry this didn't help.

sign in to your account on www.mswos.com, there will be options for you to buy the dvd or follow the link on the order receipt that say's need to buy dvd, you just click it, will give you an options to buy the dvd...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there

I have just rang Microsoft as I have upgraded to the 32bit version (didn't give me a choice), but I wanted the 64 bit version and they have told me to order the DVD and both bit versions will be on it - have they lied to me just to make more money?!

I'm a bit mad that they haven't made it clearer that in order to jump from one bit version to the other you'd have to buy the physical disk - I would have though that the Upgrade system they have in place would've catered for jumping bit versions

Thanks

A x

Sorry this didn't help.

I ordered the back up DVD on the 26th and i still have not gotten it yet so you guys that are planing on ordering might want to be careful. the company that ships it out never gave me a tracking number for it and when i emailed them about my order they wont email me back. i got screwed out of my money on the DVD back up

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 8,811 Applies to: