Windows 8 upgrade assistant saying i have not enough ram when i do

Im upgrading a PC desktop, Philips MT1800 that has been running W8 release preview with no problems
But when trying to upgrade form 'Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3' installed on this pc and the upgrade assistant says
'You need to install at least 1 GB of RAM before you can install and run Windows 8. Contact the PC manufacturer to see if you can install more RAM'.

This is wrong as this pc has;
1.87 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded
2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
c drive ntfs on drive 0  250.99gb disk  247.21gb free

What can I do to resolve this? 

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 993 Applies to:

Restart your computer and try upgrading again.

You can also try booting from the Windows 8 DVD or bootable USB thumb drive and do a custom install since there is not direct upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 8.

Double click the Install Now icon on your desktop.

When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso (a disk image) file.

Step 3: Wait for the Assistant to download the Windows 8 Pro installation package and create the bootable media or .iso file. The flash drive must be have 3GB or more of free space available.

Step 4: Burn the .iso file, if that's the path you chose, to a blank DVD.

Step 5: Use that USB drive or DVD to boot the PC.

Step 6: When you get to the screen in Setup that asks, "Which type of installation do you want?' choose "Custom."

select the disk partition where you would like to install Windows 7 Click Next.

You will receive the following warning:

The partition you selected might contain files from a previous Windows Installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will be able to access the information in Windows.old, but you will be able to use your previous version of Windows.

(At all cost, do NOT click anything named Format or Delete or Partition. So even doing a custom install, your personal files are still preserved. Click OK

Setup will now start the installation. During the installation, your machine will be restarted several times.

When the installation is complete, you can complete the Out of Box experience such as selecting your laptop, create a username, password, your time zone. You can then proceed to download the latest updates for Windows and reinstall your applications and drivers.

You can then recover your personal files from the Windows.old folder and reinstall all your applications and drivers.

http://notebooks.com/2010/11/09/how-to-recover-documents-music-and-email-after-upgrading-with-the-windows-old-folder/

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

That doest help, as I said Ive downloaded the upgrade assistant file from the download and buy page from MS, for the £24.00 upgrade.
Its the upgrade assistant which is saying that I dont have enough memory which isnt true, so I cant get passed that point to create an iso.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this when I had both my dimms in bank 2 and not bank 1, swapped them over and the  upgrade assistant was fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this when I had both my dimms in bank 2 and not bank 1, swapped them over and the  upgrade assistant was fine.
I have this same error as OP and I tried moving my RAM, but that didn't help. On my mobo i have 4 dimms 2 black, and 2 blue. they were originally in the blue dimms, so I moved them to the black dimms, restarted, and still get the same message from the upgrade assistant.

any other ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

Cant swap memory over as the banks are both used to make up the 2gb
Any other ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any other ideas?

I have the same problem. It' a pity because I'd like to upgrade my old PC to W8. It's possible that if I buy the DVD in a shop and I use it I haven't problem with the upgrade? And if it doesn't work can I have back my money?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any other ideas?

I have the same problem. It' a pity because I'd like to upgrade my old PC to W8. It's possible that if I buy the DVD in a shop and I use it I haven't problem with the upgrade? And if it doesn't work can I have back my money?
I open my PC and I remove 1 GB ram and the problem is solved. I'll upgrade my pc with only 1 gb. I'll put again my memory after i have installed W8.

Sorry this didn't help.