Windows 8 Professional Installation Hangs / Freezes-up During "Getting Ready" Stage When Installing Over Windows 7 Home Premium

Dear World...
I am attempting to install a download of Windows 8 Pro (using the installation assistant) over Windows 7 Home Premium, onto an HP DV6 6135dx laptop, and the installation (and the PC) repeatedly hangs / freezes up between 35-44% of the way through the "Getting Ready" stage of the install.  Four times this has happened and each time the install fails (when the PC freezes up and won't unfreeze even after waiting up to 8 hours for it to unfreeze).  Each time, to get back on track, I need to press and hold the power button 5-seconds until the laptop power dies.  Then, when I power up, I get a screen that tells me "Windows installation was not successful.  Your previous version of Windows is being restored..."  Lastly, I get a box saying "We couldn't install Windows 8.  We've set your PC back to the way it was..."

I have tried many techniques to troubleshoot / mitigate this install failure including disconnecting all peripherals, updating Windows 7, using msconfig to empty start-up items and non-Microsoft services, running a full disk check, running and SFC, and uninstalling all apps that the Installation Assistant says are incompatible.  By the way, I also consulted and performed the steps shown here:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/windows-8-pro-installation-problems/d66d6d4d-2ddc-4784-8acf-bb01bfc6be77  Nothing works and I've spent many, many hours in utter frustration.  

Microsoft seems to have no other posted resources for a workaround.  Can someone... anyone please help me???

|
Answer
Answer
I went to the email receipt I received from Microsoft and clicked the link to download the installer. I chose the "keep nothing" and installation went smoothly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 17, 2019 Views 22,224 Applies to: