Windows 8 Pro WMC deactivation/activation

Hi,

from what I understood from answers here, it is possible to move W8 PRO to a new PC, providing the license is first deactivated on the old one.
I'm in the process of buying a new computer and I would like to know more concerning this. How exactly can be windows 8 license deactivated? I found a helpful guide here: http://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc/ but will this work? Furthermore, how would this work with WMC that I received during the Microsoft's free giveaways last year? As far as I understand this, WMC license is tied to W8 Pro license and therefore by simply deactivating W8 Pro license on the old computer, WMC should be deactivated too and usable again on the new one?

When installing W8 Pro on the new computer, I simply enter the license whenever it asks or again, follow the guide from the link above? And then when installing WMC addon I will insert the old WMC license key from the old computer? 

Thank you very much for your help.

Answer
Answer

Hi Andrew,

Yes, you can use the same product key on a different computer once you uninstall the existing one.

I would suggest you to refer to the step which was replied by Andre Da Costa on November 2, 2012.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/windows-8-product-key-deactivation-guide/6c5245de-8516-4c99-95fe-0fb458d849e5

If you need to use the license elsewhere, just reinstall it on the other machine and reactivate by telephone:

1. Press Windows key + X then click Run, then type: slui.exe 4

2. Next press the 'ENTER' key

3. Select your 'Country' from the list.

4. Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.

5. Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

6. Explain your problem clearly to the support person.

Refer to the steps from the following Microsoft article for Windows Activation.

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by telephone

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,606 Applies to: