windows 8 pro upgrade 32bit/64bit, what did i download?

i downloaded windows 8 pro upgrade on my work pc which is 32bit, but it is actually for my home pc which is 64bit, (i want 64bit) will i be able to use this or do i have to get my money back and try to order another way?
Answer
Answer

32-bit versus 64-bit

I have a PC running 32-bit Windows XP Pro. It has a 64-bit processor, but after upgrading, I found the 32-bit version installed.

As you discovered, the Windows download from Microsoft matches the system from which you initiate the download. So if you purchase the download on a system running 32-bit Windows, your downloaded setup file will also be 32-bit.

But there’s an easy (and legal) way to get a 64-bit downloader, as long as you have access to a PC running any 64-bit version of Windows (including Windows 8).

After you complete the purchase, you will receive an email confirmation that includes a product key and a download link. From a 64-bit PC, click that download link and enter the product key you received. The download will commence, and when it finishes, you will have a 64-bit Windows installer that you can save as an ISO or burn to bootable media.

How do I get to 64 bit from 32 bit Windows?

There is no way to upgrade from a 32-bit copy of Windows to 64-bit, or vice versa. You must backup your data, create bootable media, and do a clean install. After you’re done, you’ll need to reinstall your programs and restore your data.

http://www.zdnet.com/the-ultimate-windows-8-upgrade-faq-7000006815/

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 564 Applies to: