Windows 8 Pro Pack Product Key does not work

By mistake I purchased the Windows 8 Pro Pack from my local Best Buy store. I asked the sales droid for Windows 8 Pro and was given the Pro Pack and didn't find out it was the wrong thing until I had it home and opened. Since I had the Pro Pack I thought I might as well download Windows 8 Pro and pay for it online rather than go back to the store.

My first attempt at installing it failed and the installer returned my system to its original state. I then burned a DVD of the ISO and made a dual boot system - Windows 8 64bit and Windows 7 64bit. Both systems seem to be running fine.

I have tried several times to enter the Product Key for the Windows 8 Pro Media Center Add On but each time I try it tells me that I can't use this key and will have to purchase a new one. I didn't actually want to purchase it in the first place but now that I have it, and can't return it, I would like to use it.

Any idea why it's not working?

Is there a way to get it to work?

If there isn't, will it work on someone else's system (can I sell it)?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had a similar problem. I wanted Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, so I bought Win 8 Pro and the Pro Pack at OfficeMax. Win8 Pro install and activation was just fine, but the Windows Pro Pack key gives the message that it won't work. (This is the key you get after going to the website and entering the PIN from the card).

I spent an hour on the phone with MS technical support. They are supposed to email a new Product Key for the Media Center upgrade. Haven't received it yet to test.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

BTW, if you already have Win 8 Pro, you can get a free product key to add Media Center from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Soooo in other words... I wasted $70?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought Win8 Pro upgrade and the Pro Pack.  Install went fine.  I tried to install Pro-pack after scratching off card...then I was told the resultant product key emailed to me didn't work...WTF?

After all of this I found out I could get the whole thing for free!!! WTF WTF WTF? 

The scam to end all scams?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I Also bought the Windows Pro Pack along with Windows 8 Pro! Now you are telling me I wasted my money! Not happy.

WTF!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On 27/10/2012 I bought windows 8 pro from PC World in the UK and it installed o.k. with no problem.  When it came to using the product key for the Pro Pack it tells me that I can't use this key and will have to purchase a new one.

I spent 45 minutes speaking to Microsoft Technical Support (as advised by PC World after contacting them straight away) and verifying that the key I was given in an empty box was not blocked or activated, I was no further forward in making it work. 

It still does not work and then I found on the Microsoft website that I could get a free Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key, but it will cease to work in January 2013 unless  you purchase it.  After receiving a key by e-mail the media player installed and worked perfectly.  I have asked Microsoft for another key or my money refunded.

See what happens………

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On 27/10/2012 I bought windows 8 pro from PC World in the UK and it installed o.k. with no problem.  When it came to using the product key for the Pro Pack it tells me that I can't use this key and will have to purchase a new one.

I spent 45 minutes speaking to Microsoft Technical Support (as advised by PC World after contacting them straight away) and verifying that the key I was given in an empty box was not blocked or activated, I was no further forward in making it work. 

It still does not work and then I found on the Microsoft website that I could get a free Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key, but it will cease to work in January 2013 unless  you purchase it.  After receiving a key by e-mail the media player installed and worked perfectly.  I have asked Microsoft for another key or my money refunded.

See what happens………

no, the windows media center free offer starts from october 26, 2012 to january 31, 2013.

after that date, windows media center becomes a paid app.

request for free windows media center here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

* Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to five licenses per customer per promotion. To install Windows 8 Pro Pack, you must be running Windows 8. Internet access fees may apply. Prices shown are estimated retail prices; actual price may vary by retailer. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Media Center Pack, a volume license edition, or a retail edition, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store. Get the full details on our special offers.

** Windows 8 Media Center Pack is available at no charge for a limited time only through this promotional page on Windows.com. If you obtain Windows 8 Media Center Pack through any other location fees might apply. Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to one product key per email address. You qualify for this promotion if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro. Additional hardware may be required to watch and record live TV. You must provide a valid email address to receive your Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key. Your product key must be activated no later than January 31, 2013. Microsoft will only contact you at the email address you provide to send you your product key and to remind you when the activation period for your product key is ending. Catalysis Corporation is a third-party company we use to collect subscription information and process the delivery of these emails. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Media Center Pack, a volume license edition, or a retail edition, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.....my product key for Windows 8 Pro Pack doesn't work. Seems like Chris B. needs to be notified.

Is there a faster way to get the correct product key? I really don't have an hour to be on the phone with MS tech support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I sent away for the free key but 24 hours later and still not there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I sent away for the free key but 24 hours later and still not there.

i received mine in 36 hours.

just wait.

or use another microsoft email account (hotmail, live.com, outlook).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 1, 2019 Views 8,123 Applies to: