windows 8 pro key not working

my windows 8 pro key stopped working to activate my laptop after formatting the hdd but its not an upgrade key.

I had windows 8 pro installed on my laptop, then it started saying that it needed to be activated. but when I entered my product key it said it was an upgrade key and could not be used. the hdd in my laptop was failing and causing a lot problems with the laptop so I thought it may be the hdd.

I tried reinstalling but it still gives me the same message. after I bought a new hdd for my laptop it still gave me this error after it installed. but I don't know why im suddenly getting this error, I've never had any problems activating before after formatting my hdd. I don't have to put the key in with the 30 day limit, but its annoying when it nags me about it and I need this fixed.

(I always format my hdd before I install any os. the key was working fine for a few months until my hdd failed.)

Answer
Answer
Do a upgrade or repair installation and try again. Strange as it seems it could work for you. Or google "Windows 8 Clean Install with Upgrade key." Note that most of these methods are not that Microsoft supported
There are multiple ways to do anything.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 271 Applies to: