Windows 8 pro download problem

I was downloading Win 8 pro to an old Dell machine running Win XP pro.  The download has stopped with the message "Windows needs to restart, Please hold down the power button."  When the power button is held down,  the machine restarts, runs briefly - maybe 30 sec or so - flashes the blue Win logo and shuts down with an error message.  There appears to be no way to get the computer to get past this.  Any suggestions?

Hi Ron_Shimek,

Welcome to Microsoft Community!

As per the problem description, it seems that you have an issue with downloading Windows 8 Pro on the computer. We can get this issue fixed by proceeding systematically. It might be frustrating for you. But, rest assured we are here to help you. I would request you to send us additional information as listed below to assist you better.

1.      Are you using wired or wireless network?

2.      Which antivirus application are you using?

I would like more information regarding the issue.

Method 1-

I would have you check if you have a stable internet connection. Generally, a drop in the Internet Connection can prevent the file from being downloaded.

Method 2-

I would recommend you to perform Clean Boot.

Placing the computer in a Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to perform the steps from the article-

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353?wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Make sure you get the computer back to Normal Startup after performing all the troubleshooting steps.

Now, try to download the file.

Additionally, I would have you refer to the steps suggested by “Andre Da Costa” from the threads-

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/im-unable-to-download-windows-8-via-windows-8/6c71bdac-5d7b-4368-bfbe-171c8eb89bf3

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-windows_install/windows-8-freezes-when-attempting-to-download/a21e90f4-dcd5-4968-8a14-0d27d399f0f0

Note: The Chkdsk will try to repair bad sectors on the hard drive. Any data on these sectors might be lost. The computer might also go to a no boot state.

Make sure you get the computer back to Normal Startup after performing all the troubleshooting steps.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, reply us with more information, we’ll be happy to help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Mr. Ganesh,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately it wasn't very useful, no doubt because my initial post was done when I was at my wit's end, and my thinking was becoming less than completely rational and it was not too clear.

A more complete timeline:

1. I was downloading Windows 8 over a wireless connection from a nearby microwave tower to our house.  This connection is quite stable. The download had been proceeding for over an hour before the download glitched. 
  2. The download progress indicator said it was at 90% downloaded. 
  3. A notice appeared saying that the computer needed to restart.  The machine powered down and turned off.
  4. Then it started to power up.
  5. The initial Windows XP splash screen appeared and then vanished.
  6. The new Windows 8 logo appeared (4 blue trapezoids arranged to give the illustion of a window with 4 panes).
  7. That logo vanished.
  8. A cursor-like line briefly blinks in the upper left corner of the monitor.
  9. That dissappears and the monitor goes black.
  10. A couple of seconds later the following message (without the "") appears:

"Your PC needs to restart, please hold down the power button.

Error Code : 0x00000050

Parameters:

0x030F0209

0x756E6547

0x49656E69

0x6C65746E"

And there it stops... awaiting the wisdom of the ages, I presume.

At this point my machine will not complete booting, so instructing me to do a complete boot is rather like telling a politician to be completly honest - it cannot happen.

FYI, I am running "Trend Micro Titanium" as my antivirus software.

I hope this will help.

Cheers, Ron Shimek

Ron

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 318 Applies to: