Windows 8 Pro - A disk read error occured

Hi,

I purchsed my Windows 8 Pro upgrade today. The download and initial install process went ok. But when the laptop rebooted for the first time I get the following error:

A disk read error occured

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot

When I do this, I keep getting this prompt. I've had this laptop for 3 yrs and never once have I have a disk read error. Right now I have a laptop that I can't do anything with as I don't have any Windows 8 Pro media i.e. the upgrade process was done using the online upgrade. the upgrade has completely failed. I don't even get the option to be able to safe boot Windows 8.

Any advice on how to sort this mess out would be good.  :(

Thanks.

I'm also having the same issue. Was on the phone with Microsoft for the last 3 hours trying different options with restores and such. And it all did not work. Ran the HDD test via BIOS and that all checked out. Not a HDD issue. 

They said that they will do more research on it and in the mean time I'm googling to see if there are known solutions to our problem.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I managed to solve this. Like you I also ran the bios HDD check and all was good - I think this proves its more a software issue than hardware.

When you run Windows8-UpgradeAssistant eventually you get to a point where you are asked some questions :

Choose what to keep:
1. Windows settings, personal files and apps

2. Just personal files

3. Nothing

I chose 3 because I didn't want to keep anything. Everything I wanted was on external HDD. And to be very honest since the changes between XP and Windws 8 are significant Ithe though of having legacy 'stuff' didn't appeal to me.

You are also asked:

Install Windows 8

1. Install now

2. Install by creating media

3. Install later from your desktop

I chose option 1, because I wanted to install now.

I think (and I'm only guessing) that the combination of 3 and 1 had something to do with my issue.

What I had to do to sort this out was:

1. Do not do anything like delete, format on the HDD. If you boot using a bootable USB and get to a command prompt you will see that windows is still there etc.. You need it to be there during the upgrade in order to make sure the Windows 8 activiation works. you don't need to use a bootable USB, this is only if you are curious to see what is there.

2. Find another latop that I could run the Windows8-UpgradeAssistant on. I happen to have a work laptop also

3. When asked 'Choose what to keep', choose 3

4. When prompted 'Install Windows 8' choose 2

5. Create an Windows 8 iso image and put this on a USB stick. In my case it had use a USB. Eventhough my DVD played is ok the Windows 8 upgrade/install would not run from the DVD.

6. Continue the upgrade process as normal - you will be asked some more questions, use common sense (though this is what I thought I was doing when I first started) 

Hope this helps in some way.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is def an issue with Windows 8 Pro and not an hardware issue
I managed to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 pro
Now every time i login to system from startup i keep getting a message to say there is an hard disk problem and to backup system.  The hard disk in question is only 2 months old and gave no issues under Windows 7. 
Every time i check the disk it says there are no issues with hardware. No disk issues and nothing corrupt
If i restart system after initial boot the issue does not happen
Something in Windows 8 coding is deciding there is an issue with system disk when in fact there are no issues
Come on microsoft. Rectify the issue via a patch
This is typical of using a new O/S

Even tried another brand new hard disk and got same issue

Insider

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah. This is definitely very annoying. Can't use my secondary laptop at all. I am happy, not to be installing this to my no:1 laptop as that would have my life much more difficult. I am expecting some kind of fix to this situation.

I am having a HP NX series laptop with ability to boot to recovery mode. I guess this has something to do with these custom startup modes made by different vendors, cause I'm still able to enter the recovery mode (or what ever it is) to re-install factory OS (XP). Possibly windows 8 Pro installer doesn't know about these settings or doesn't fully overwrite everything it should..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been having the same issue, 3 week old laptop, used the upgrade now option. One suggestion I have seen online is to disable fast Shutdown which I did and that seems to solve it but we shall see. Very surprising to see something like this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had the same problem on an older laptop (HP Compaq nx6325). Upgrading from Windows XP Pro to Windows 8 Pro. Went through the installation process then got as far as the first reboot and the system wouldn't restart "A disk read error occurred". Couldn't get any further

Read all the info here and had a hunch about the configuration of this laptop. It has a "Recovery Partition" on the drive (press F11 for Recovery Options at startup) and I thought it might be this partition that was causing the problem.

Fortunately I had an HP Windows XP installation CD so I booted from this CD and did a full re-installation of XP by first DELETING both partitions on the hard drive. Then installed XP SP3 but didn't do any Windows updates.

There is a link on the confirmation email that you get from Microsoft when you purchase the Windows 7 upgrade - "If you need to download Windows, write down your new product key and enter it here". Click on this link and this will download something called "Windows8-Setup.exe". Copy this to the machine to be upgraded and then click on this. You'll need to enter your Windows 8 product key and then the installation will restart.

This all worked fine. With no recovery partition on the laptop, Windows 8 Pro installed perfectly and is now all working.

But it did take a whole day to get to this point and I'm not sure how I'd have got there if I didn't have a Windows XP CD to reinstall XP and delete the partitions from.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have this problem on my desktop. I do reset computer much times every day, commonly about 2-3 hours for start Windows 8. ....... This problem wasn't on all past versions Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have a problem with Win 8 Pro. I have purchase a new drive and install on new drive. Did the downloads to update all and then ask to restart. When re-start it come up with some error, say your pc have crashed and encounter a serious problem that is why we need to restart your pc. This happen on my previous drive and I think it end up crash my drive as the drive is now unusable.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Happened to me too but I solved it! Hope it works for you

Open the usb stick folder in a working computer

Open the file autorun.ini in Notepad (or any other editor)

after open and icon you see that it runs "setup.exe"

Change it to "sources/setup.exe" (you can see a bit further ahead that it uses that directory for SetupError).

That's it! Now plug the usb back and try again

Good luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks, I was upgrading from XP Pro to 8 Pro on a HP machine & had this same problem, removed the partition as you did & this sorted it. Great.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 25, 2020 Views 10,445 Applies to: