Windows 8 OEM license question.

I bought myself the upgrade windows 8 license back when it was on sale, burnt the disk and am loving windows 8.

I finally convinced my sister to get a new laptop with windows 8 but she want's me to clean off all the bloatware that always comes with buying a laptop. What I used to do in the past was borrow my friends win 7 OEM disk and do a fresh install using the laptops key.

Is it possible to do this with the upgrade disk or do I have to get a hold of a the windows 8 OEM disk? I know normally these laptops come with recovery disks it's just they normally reinstall all the bloat so I normally try and avoid using it.

So is this possible and is it legal?

Regards,

Chris

I bought myself the upgrade windows 8 license back when it was on sale, burnt the disk and am loving windows 8.

I finally convinced my sister to get a new laptop with windows 8 but she want's me to clean off all the bloatware that always comes with buying a laptop. What I used to do in the past was borrow my friends win 7 OEM disk and do a fresh install using the laptops key.

Is it possible to do this with the upgrade disk or do I have to get a hold of a the windows 8 OEM disk? I know normally these laptops come with recovery disks it's just they normally reinstall all the bloat so I normally try and avoid using it.

It is not as straight forward as it use to be with Windows 7 and that method might not work, so I don't recommend it.

So is this possible and is it legal?

Its legal, but not a guarantee to work.

My recommendation would be to simply spend a day uninstalling the bundled software you don't want and create a Recovery Image Point.

Press Windows key + X

Click Programs and Features

Select and uninstall each software you don't want.

When you have the system setup the way you like, just create a recovery image point:

Create a recovery image point:

From the Start screen, type

cmd, and then right-click the Command Prompt app and click "Run as administrator." Click through the UAC prompt. and at the command prompt type recimg /createimage C:\Recovery. The computer will churn for awhile as it writes the image to disk—it's not unusual for this process to take several hours, so give it time.

moving the restore image:

If in the future you'd like to move the

C:\Recovery directory elsewhere to save space on your main drive, you can; all you have to do after you move it is fire up another administrative command prompt window and type recimg /setcurrent [New directory name] to set a new path for the recovery image.

Also, note that while a refreshed PC will include all desktop applications you had installed at the time you made the image with

recimg, it will uninstall all desktop applications you've put on there since. If you'd like to update the image with new drivers or applications, just run recimg with the /createimage switch again.

Regards,

Chris

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Chris,

It should work with the upgrade disk. I've made several clean installations using a Windows 7 upgrade disk. Andre Da Costa says that it might not work with Windows 8. I don't see the reason why not. You can use the disk for an advanced installation, go then to advanced upgrade options and then select format (not delete) for the main disk partition. The only problem that can occur I guess is activating Windows. But if online activation fails, you can also try by telephone and if this fails too you can speak to a representative and explain the case.

There is a very helpful utility to uninstall bloatware named Decrapifier. You don't even need to install it, just download and run once. It will ask you if this is a new PC and then it will recommend programs you should unistall. Finally, it will show you a list containing all installed programs so you can select manually the ones you don't need. All uninstallers will run almost automatically one after the other so it is very convenient. You can find it here http://pcdecrapifier.com/ 

Hope this helps

John

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

It should work with the upgrade disk. I've made several clean installations using a Windows 7 upgrade disk. Andre Da Costa says that it might not work with Windows 8. I don't see the reason why not. You can use the disk for an advanced installation, go then to advanced upgrade options and then select format (not delete) for the main disk partition. The only problem that can occur I guess is activating Windows. But if online activation fails, you can also try by telephone and if this fails too you can speak to a representative and explain the case.

There is a very helpful utility to uninstall bloatware named Decrapifier. You don't even need to install it, just download and run once. It will ask you if this is a new PC and then it will recommend programs you should unistall. Finally, it will show you a list containing all installed programs so you can select manually the ones you don't need. All uninstallers will run almost automatically one after the other so it is very convenient. You can find it here http://pcdecrapifier.com/ 

Hope this helps

John

The product key is embedded in the BIOS, that's the first problem. Persons have tried the Windows 7 method and have ended having problems activating Windows 8 using a retail disc because its not grabbing the key from the BIOS.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 315 Applies to: