Windows 8 Media Center Product Key

Hi there,

I'm a little confused about the Media Center pack product key. After using the key I received, in Windows Activation it is now listed as my product key for Windows, rather than the one I used before to install Windows 8 Pro. So, my question is simple: if were to have to reinstall Windows 8 from the DVD in future, would I use the Media Center pack key or the original Windows 8 Pro key, and if I used the original key, would I then be able to reuse the Media Center key with it again? In other words, does the activation limit of before January 31st only mean it has to be used once before then to remain valid, or after this date it can't be re-activated in future?

Thanks
|

Hi,

You would use the original Windows 8 Pro key which you used to install originally if you are reinstalling.

You can only avail the free Windows Media Center Add On from October 26th to 31st January 2013, then you will have to buy it to re-activate.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I actually experimented with this I installed the WMC key on two machines it installed fine but then it will not activate the second machine because the WMC key is in use.

The key will lock into the configuration of that machine and will only work on that machine and you have to use the core key to reinstall on that the machine again only, but regarding use the WMC key will  work on a second machine and you will get media center but it will mess up activation unless you have a second different WMC key.

I didn't read the fineprint because I put in both keys at the same time on two different machines. The simple remedy is to wait another two days and they will send me another key using a different email address because it is one email address per key.

There is a 5 key limit per customer on the free Windows Media Center Addon.

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

scramly did you ever get the second WMC key for your other email address, and then could you activate it correctly?

I ran into the same thing, I didn't realize it was the same key when I registered for another free WMC key for the second machine, it just resent me the exact same key.

I submitted another request for a different email address, so I am hoping I could just use the key for that email address without having to reinstall the whole OS again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am in the exact same situation...waiting for my second key on a different email address right now.

The first computer I put WMC on was my main desktop so I can try it out before upgrading my Windows 7 w/ WMC in my living room.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes it activated fine but just in case it didn't I did a reset and installed the WMC key again.  I am sure you have solved the problem by now.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too messed up and installed media center using the same key. Now when I click on Buy a key, it tells me I can't purchase a key in this region. HUH? I just purchased one a couple of days ago. I applied for a free key over 48 hours ago, no such luck. Now what?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The solution is to resubmit a request for a WMC, but use a different email address.  You'll get a different WMC key.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just have to wait.. Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also messed up and installed WMC on two new machines using the same WMC key.  Whenever I submit a request for a new WMC key via http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/feature-packs, I constantly receive the following error message (no matter which valid email address I use):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We couldn't process your order.
If you think you have received this message in error, contact a Microsoft Customer Support representative.

Terms & Conditions

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any clues as to what MS have done here, seeing as their free WMC key offer is still valid for another week?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2019 Views 5,994 Applies to: