Windows 8 downgrade rights on a PC I build?

OK, I'm looking at building a PC for my sister, I'd like to give it to her with Windows 8, but she may not want to run that for various reasons. I looked around and I see that Windows 8 Pro offers downgrade rights.

From reading the page: Understanding Downgrade Rights, it seems that in order to exercise said downgrade rights, she should have a retail copy of Windows 7 Pro?

So I see two scenarios and I'm not sure if my understanding and the cost implications are correct.

Currently she has a laptop that was originally licensed for Windows Vista and for which I bought a full retail installation (not upgrade) license of Windows Home Premium. It wasn't cheap, but we were somewhere where we could not buy any other media and time was of the essence.   This retail copy does thus not qualify for downgrade eligibility if she wants to transfer it to the new machine.

There is no other way, short of buying media and an activation key for Windows 7 Pro, to downgrade from Windows 8 Pro. This means I'd have to buy both versions - in which case I don't understand the benefit that "downgrade rights" confers on me? I don't see how it is different than simply buying a cheaper version of Windows 8 and then overwriting it with an installation of Windows 7 Home Premium if she should decide she does not want to continue with Windows 8?

Am I missing something or ...?

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 225 Applies to:
Answer
Downgrade rights do not apply to home built computers--only computers that are bought with win 8 pro. You cannot install windows 8 upgrade on a home built machine. You must purchase the OEM System Builder version of win 8 that is only available online from Amazon and similar online sellers. IMO, you should buy windows 7 full version and put that on the computer. 
she can always upgrade in the future.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
OK, I'm looking at building a PC for my sister, I'd like to give it to her with Windows 8, but she may not want to run that for various reasons. I looked around and I see that Windows 8 Pro offers downgrade rights.

From reading the page: Understanding Downgrade Rights, it seems that in order to exercise said downgrade rights, she should have a retail copy of Windows 7 Pro?

So I see two scenarios and I'm not sure if my understanding and the cost implications are correct.

Currently she has a laptop that was originally licensed for Windows Vista and for which I bought a full retail installation (not upgrade) license of Windows Home Premium. It wasn't cheap, but we were somewhere where we could not buy any other media and time was of the essence.   This retail copy does thus not qualify for downgrade eligibility if she wants to transfer it to the new machine.

>>> No
There is no other way, short of buying media and an activation key for Windows 7 Pro, to downgrade from Windows 8 Pro. This means I'd have to buy both versions - in which case I don't understand the benefit that "downgrade rights" confers on me? I don't see how it is different than simply buying a cheaper version of Windows 8 and then overwriting it with an installation of Windows 7 Home Premium if she should decide she does not want to continue with Windows 8?

>>> Correct.

Downgrade rights only applies to computers that come preloaded with Windows 8 Pro at the factory. Not for retail licenses.

Am I missing something or ...?

Thanks!

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.