Windows 8 Clean Install IRQL Error

I have an Acer Aspire M3450 8-core AMD system. I have upgraded the video card and installed 2 additional SSD drives. The native HDD is a 1TB 5400 RPM drive. 

I purchased the $15 Windows 8 upgrade that was offered by purchasing the computer. I want to perform a clean install of the new OS on one of my SSD drives since the bottleneck in my system is currently the 5400 RPM disc; so I created the bootable DVD from the ISO the Install Adviser generated. None of my hardware was listed as incompatible.

Every attempt results in the same error:  IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL*  (amd*.sys) The * are for the parts of the error I failed to read because it disappeared to quickly.

I have tried changing the boot order of the devices to be the HDD or SSD first.
I have tried removing my antivirus software completely from the system.
I have tried rearranging the SATA cables so that the SSD I want to be the boot drive is in the first position.

If anyone has any ideas or something for me to try I would be appreciative, as I do not want to install the new OS on the slow drive.

V/R,
Edward M.

Hi Edward_M

Thank you for posting query on Microsoft communities.

From your description I understand that you are unable to install Windows 8.

Could you please answer the following question so that I can guide you in right direction.

1.       How many modules of RAM are you using?

The issue is most likely related to your RAM.

I would suggest you to use only one slot of RAM and remove the other slots and check.

Please follow the steps given below and then try to upgrade Windows 8 on HDD.

Uninstall any security software before attempting to upgrade.

1. Disable any encryption software you might have installed.
  2. Disable/uninstall disk utility software such as DVD/CD burning utilities or third party defragment programs such as Perfect Disk.
  3. Make sure your computer is updated (devices and applications).
  4. Disconnect any external devices before installing.

Please follow these methods and try to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

Check your hard disk for any errors:

- OPEN CHARMS BAR BY PRESSING WINDOWS KEY + C.

- Now in search bar Type: CMD

- Right click CMD then click Run as administrator

-At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r /f

-Exit the command prompt.

When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

Note for chkdsk: If chkdsk finds bad sectors, it will any attempt recovery of bad sectors and there could be a possibility of data loss.

Method 2:

Please perform the clean boot from the link. Follow the instructions mentioned in the link.

In this link I want you to perform Step 1: Perform a clean boot and now install windows 8.

After installing Windows 8 now go to Step 3: Reset the computer to start as usual.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135.

Method 3:       

Run the System File Checker utility.

SFC/Scannow checks your Windows installation for errors and corrects them. This will help with ensuring that a smooth upgrade occurs.

OPEN CHARMS BAR BY PRESSING WINDOWS KEY + C.
Now in search bar Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
Click ‘Run as Administrator’
At the Command Prompt, type: sfc/scannow

This will check for any integrity violations

Restart your system

Please follow the link for reference.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/clean-install

Data loss Warning:

Converting a hard disk partition or volume from NTFS to FAT32 requires that you reformat the partition, which deletes any data on it. Be sure to back up any data you want to keep before you begin.

Hope the above information helps.

Do get back to us and let us know the status of the issue by your next post or in case you need further assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

ShuiabKhan, 

Thank you for responding to my problem.

My system was running 3x 2GB memory sticks, per your suggestion I am now only running 1 stick in slot 0.

I have once again uninstalled my antivirus software and am not currently running any other security suites. 

Method 1: Had the same results as previously. chkdsk found no errors on my current OS HDD (C:) or my intended install SSD (E:).

Method 2: Once I started the process to see if it gave an option to choose a different path, and then cancelled when it was preparing files before prompting an install path. If I understand it correctly will have me install Windows 8 from the desktop onto the current C: drive, which is what I am attempting not to do. 

Method 3: sfc did not find any integrity violations.

The steps I take when attempting installations are as follows:
Boot from the DVD
Enter Key and Select Custom Install
Each dash represents an attempt
- Install on Disc 0, Copies Files, Getting Ready: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (amdsbs.sys)
- Format partition Disc 0:  IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (amdsbs.sys)
- Delete partition Disc 0, New partition Disc 0, Install on Disc 0: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (amdsbs.sys)
- Delete partition Disc 0, New partition Disc 0, Format Disc 0: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (amdsbs.sys)

Thank you again for any continued assistance,
Edward M.

Sorry this didn't help.

ShuiabKhan,

So I spent a fair bit of time doing some more digging and it appears that the problem may have been a BIOS setting. The default behavior (for lack of a better term from memory) of the SATA ports: Native IDE/Raid/AHCI. The system default is Raid which for normal system operation had no impact because I did not have a raid set up. However, this does appear to cause the installer some distress in the form of BSOD. I changed the setting to AHCI and was able to install the operating system successfully. I am unable to figure out how to set my question as answered.

V/R
Edward M

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 269 Applies to: