Windows 8 buy activation code only?

I have windows 8 pro on my computer, and i am building a friends computer. It was an oem copy, and we are using the same hard drive, so i must reinstall windows.  the computer i am upgrading windows on currently will not boot due to the hardware change, so i cannot run the upgrade assistant. it is booted to my windows 8 boot disk i made, and all i need now is to buy a product key. so where can i go to get a product key without the whole upgrade assistant thing?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 428 Applies to:

You can't use an upgrade version of Windows 8 on a computer without a previously installed qualifying version of Windows.

Also, if the previous version of Windows was an OEM version, it can not be installed on a new motherboard

You would need to purchase an OEM full install system builders version of Windows 8.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416552

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Purchasing a full version of Windows 8

If you want to build your own PC and install Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro, or want an additional operating system running in either a local virtual machine or separate partition (including a Mac), you can purchase the Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro System Builder products (OEM versions). If available in your country or region, Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro System Builder products can be purchased at participating stores, you'll need to ask a sales rep for more information. This version does not include customer support.

There are no full retail versions of Windows 8. If you need a full version, you will need to purchase the Windows 8 Pro OEM from New Egg. This requires a custom clean install.

Windows 8 Pro
64 Bit (OEM)

Windows 8 Pro
32 Bit (OEM)

Windows 8
64 Bit (OEM)

Windows 8
32 Bit (OEM)

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.