windows 8 asks for product key

I installed a blank HDD and Windows 8 on a fairly new PC which had a corrupted drive.  Now when I turn on the machine, after I have to log into my account, I get a message asking me to Activate Windows.  I input the Product Key that came with my copy of Windows 8 and it rejects it.  I power the machine off and back on and it may or may not ask me to activate Windows before letting me use the machine.  Any ideas?

Hi JimNix,

Thank you for opting Windows 8.

It looks that every time you turn on your computer you get a prompt to activate Windows 8.

You are getting prompted to Activate Windows 8 to ensure that the version of operating system which you are using is genuine. There are many ways to activate Windows 8.

Please follow the methods given below to activate Windows 8.

Method 1: Activate windows 8 through charms bar online.

Please follow the steps given below to activate Windows 8.

a) Press Windows Key + C shortcut to launch Charms menu in right panel.
b) Click on setting button through charms menu.
c) Click on More PC Setting button at the bottom.
d) A PC settings window is appearing. You have to click on Activate windows option from left side.
e) Now Activated windows tab will be displayed in right panel. If your computer is connected with internet, windows 8 activation process will start automatically. It asks you to wait few moments.
f) If windows 8 has not been activated successfully at this moments, it will display new message about successful activation in short while now.

This way activation process of Windows 8 is performed. After that you can check activation status from computer properties window.

For this press Windows Key + Break shortcut to launch Computer properties and check activation status.

Method 2: Activate windows 8 in command prompt online.

a) Open Run by Clicking Windows Key + R shortcut and type command or cmd.
b) In command prompt window type command- slmgr/ato and Press Enter button.
c) Now windows 8 will be activated in few moments and display confirmation messages before screen.

Thus Windows 8 activation is complete. Again type another command – slmgr/dlv and press Enter. This command displays complete details about activation information and validity of windows.

Method 3: Activate windows 8 through control panel online

a) Open Run and type control to launch Control panel window.
b) Go to control panel window, click on System security and open Action center window.
c) Click on Go to Windows Activation button and open new window.
d) Click on Activate online button.
e) Windows 8 activation process online will happen in few moments and it displays below image after successful activation.

You can refer to the following link as a reference:

Install, upgrade, & activate:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/install-upgrade-activate-help#install-upgrade-activate-help=windows-8&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1

I hope your computer gets activated by now, please feel free to write back to us if the issue still persists.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the quick reply.  However, I was apparently not clear enough in my question.  I activated Windows 8, using the product key, when I installed it on this computer.  I can use this computer, running Windows 8.  However, sometimes when I log in, I am asked to again activate Windows.  I am asked for the Product Key to do so.  I tried entering my - valid - Product Key and I get a message that says that that is not the correct Product Key.  If I power off the machine and then turn it back on, as often as not, at sign in I go directly into the full functionality of Windows 8 and am not asked to activate it.

Is that a better explanation?

Jim 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same problem.  I activated when I installed OR gave it the product key.  Now it will not accept the product key....

Go figure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

trying using cmd open with admin rights
type slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxx
replace xx with product key

reboot
then try to activate
or open cmd again with admin rights
type slmgr.vbs -ato
if still no success contact ms and ask them to verify the product key

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem but much more aggravating I have a lenovo (2yrs) no problems and now I went for updates.When I started the machine the next timeIt immediately went to blue screen asking for the key code (which I didn't get when I purchased it) I was told I wouldn't need one because of a recovery partition. I made the recovery disc still no key code .Two yrs. and haven't had any problems,now it won't even let me in to my computer unless I supply a key code that I never got . I went where I purchased it and they said  go to lenovo, they told me to come here. A clean install is out of the question because of files I cant afford to lose. I have in my name a downloaded version purchased from here and a hard disk also puchased form microsoft and it won't even take one of there keys.

I have another one that went for updates and says it cant complete the update process and it is unistalling them  for 26hrs I can't get into that one either it's an asus.

What are my options I own 4 windows 8 programs and can't get into either of my computers because I let them go for updates

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update on the issue and if that is the scenario then try to get in touch with Lenovo Support and see what they suggest.

Do keep us updated.

Regards, 

Ramesh Kumar.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

you obviously didnt read the whole emailI have already been to lenovo and they said it was your softwaRE CAUSING THE PROBLEM. Your updates that I didn't ask for is the problem. Now can you give me a LINK TO SOMEONE THAT CAN ACTUALLY  HELP?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Apology for the above.

If your system is activated and still it asks for product key then refer the steps provided in the article mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Why can't I activate Windows?

Get Help Activating Microsoft Windows

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JimNix,

Thank you for opting Windows 8.

It looks that every time you turn on your computer you get a prompt to activate Windows 8.

You are getting prompted to Activate Windows 8 to ensure that the version of operating system which you are using is genuine. There are many ways to activate Windows 8.

Please follow the methods given below to activate Windows 8.

Method 1: Activate windows 8 through charms bar online.

a) Press Windows Key + C shortcut to launch Charms menu in right panel.
b) Click on setting button through charms menu.
c) Click on More PC Setting button at the bottom.
d) A PC settings window is appearing. You have to click on Activate windows option from left side.
e) Now Activated windows tab will be displayed in right panel. If your computer is connected with internet, windows 8 activation process will start automatically. It asks you to wait few moments.
f) If windows 8 has not been activated successfully at this moments, it will display new message about successful activation in short while now.

This way activation process of Windows 8 is performed. After that you can check activation status from computer properties window.

For this press Windows Key + Break shortcut to launch Computer properties and check activation status.

Method 2: Activate windows 8 in command prompt online.

a) Open Run by Clicking Windows Key + R shortcut and type command or cmd.
b) In command prompt window type command- slmgr/ato and Press Enter button.
c) Now windows 8 will be activated in few moments and display confirmation messages before screen.

Thus Windows 8 activation is complete. Again type another command – slmgr/dlv and press Enter. This command displays complete details about activation information and validity of windows.

Method 3: Activate windows 8 through control panel online

a) Open Run and type control to launch Control panel window.
b) Go to control panel window, click on System security and open Action center window.
c) Click on Go to Windows Activation button and open new window.
d) Click on Activate online button.
e) Windows 8 activation process online will happen in few moments and it displays below image after successful activation.

You can refer to the following link as a reference:

Install, upgrade, & activate:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/install-upgrade-activate-help#install-upgrade-activate-help=windows-8&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1

I hope your computer gets activated by now, please feel free to write back to us if the issue still persists.

WAST OF TIME THIS MATHORD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2020 Views 5,901 Applies to: