Windows 8 Apps not working

HI, I just upgraded to Windows 8 pro from Windows 7.

The upgrade went well, and all my previous Win 7 applications are working. However the new Win 8 apps (the ones launched from the start screen) are not working. Clicking on the tiles brings up the splash-screen for that app, and then it just closes. All of them appear to do this, except for "Maps".

I did a search but couldn't find anything. There appears to have been a similar issue with the consumer preview, so I tried out those suggestions. Because my user profile was the one I imported from win7, that was an admin so that might have been the issue. I created a local admin and switched my account to a normal one, and signed in with a Live ID, but that didn't work. UAC is turned on, so that can't be it. I'm running a HD (1920x1080) display, so that can't be it either. My windows experience index is at 6.2 (it's a laptop), so I don't think hardware/driver issues could be it.

Any suggestions?
Answer
Answer

If Metro Apps are still not working your other option would be to Refresh your PC.

Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:
· Your files and personalization settings won't change.

· Your PC settings will be changed back to their defaults.

· Apps from Windows Store will be kept.

· Apps you installed from discs or websites will be removed.

· A list of removed apps will be saved on your desktop.

These steps will take you through refreshing your PC:

· Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar (If you are using a touchscreen: Touch the right edge of your screen and swipe your finger to the left)

· Click Settings

· Click Change PC Settings

· Click General in the left column

· Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be provided on the screen to refresh your PC.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 5, 2019 Views 131,951 Applies to: