Windows 8 Activation (OEM) Procedure

HI,

I ordered a new system build from amazon last week and put it all together. New motherboard, cpu, ssd, memory, vid card, well everything.

I installed Windows 8 retail preview once I put everything together and oteher then some screen flickering/glitches before video drivers got installed; its working fine.

Along with the parts I also pre-ordered the windows 8 pro system builders OEM (the 140 dollar one). Anyhow, like I said i got the Win8 rp running on the system.  Thing is I am holding off installing my programs like office and powerdirector etc... because I'm not sure if I can just use the key I will receive with the system builders pack and activate the retail win 8 without having to reinstall it or not being able to keep my programs.

So thats the question, will I have to reinstall win 8 with the oem version and key, thus having to reinstall my programs. Or will I just be able to use the OEM key and poof I got activated windows with all my programs etc?

|
Answer
Answer

will I have to reinstall win 8 with the oem version and key, thus having to reinstall my programs. Or will I just be able to use the OEM key and poof I got activated windows with all my programs etc?

You need to do a clean install using the OEM disk, activate and then reinstall your applications. Backup any important data files to a flash drive before you start.

Upgrading from:                      What you can keep:
Windows 8 Preview                   Personal files
Windows 8 Developer Preview   Nothing, but your old files will be saved in the "windows.old" folder
Windows 7                               Software programs; Windows settings; personal files
Windows Vista                          Windows settings; personal files
Windows XP                             Personal files

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

You will have to reinstall Windows 8 OEM using its own unique key. You cannot do upgrades from the Release Preview.

Programs and drivers will need to be reinstalled.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 28, 2021 Views 3,960 Applies to: