Unable to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 8 and receive error message 'This Platform Is Not Supported'.

Original Title: Upgrading Windows xp Pro 64bit to Windows 8

When trying to upgrade Windows Xp Pro 64bit lanch Windows 8 comes up with error message 'This Platform Is Not Supported'

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,019 Applies to:

Hi,

As I understand the issue, you are unable to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 8 and receive error message 'This Platform Is Not Supported'. Please let me know if this is not correct.
Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps I may need a few more information to understand the issue better.
1. How are you trying to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 8?
2. To which edition of Windows 8 you are trying to upgrade?

3.  Are you trying to install 32bit or 64bit Windows 8?
Let's first check if your computer meets minimum System Requirements for Windows 8 or not.
I would suggest you to run Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to check if your computer is ready to install Windows 8 or not.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Note: If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows.

Also refer Upgrading section from this link for additional information:

Hope this information helps. Reply with the required information to help you to fix the issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Geethu B,

I am also having the same problem as foolman123. Hopefully I'm not cutting in where I shouldn't be but I thought I'd ride this thread with the hopes of getting some answers.

I'll answer your questions in the order that they appeared.

1. I'm trying to see if it is possible to upgrade through Microsoft's website as a digital download. The error that foolman123 mentioned is the same I am getting when I run the "Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant."

2. I'm currently running Windows XP Pro 64bit and would like to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro 64bit.

3. The error "This platform is not supported" only appears in the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.

My PC currently exceeds the listed System Requirements for Windows 8.

Seeing as the Assistant is giving me this error I have not attempted to buy or download Windows 8 to see if that would also give me the same error.

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 8 Pro
64 Bit (OEM)

Windows 8
64 Bit (OEM)

It is because there is no upgrade path for XP to Windows 8.

You need to do a clean install of Windows 8. The above links are for purchasing full versions of Windows 8 Pro (OEM) provided by Andre Da Costa from this thread
The most powerful tool : Google Search

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Geethu B,

I am also having the same problem as foolman123. Hopefully I'm not cutting in where I shouldn't be but I thought I'd ride this thread with the hopes of getting some answers.

I'll answer your questions in the order that they appeared.

1. I'm trying to see if it is possible to upgrade through Microsoft's website as a digital download. The error that foolman123 mentioned is the same I am getting when I run the "Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant."

2. I'm currently running Windows XP Pro 64bit and would like to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro 64bit.

3. The error "This platform is not supported" only appears in the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.

My PC currently exceeds the listed System Requirements for Windows 8.

Seeing as the Assistant is giving me this error I have not attempted to buy or download Windows 8 to see if that would also give me the same error.

Hey,
What i did in the end was create a iso image and boot it and do a clean install and the key worked still. I also rang microsoft and they said Microsoft should be releasing a iso for everyone to download today or tomorrow.
I created the iso from another computer. I went all the way after entering your product key and the download, after that it requests if you want to do a bootable cd and make that into a iso.

That was everything mate
Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the prompt replies, fellas!

Right now the biggest barrier for me is the price (and the possible work involved in figuring out what, if anything, will transfer). I'd prefer to not have to buy the full price, full version at triple the price of the upgrade if I can get away with it. I may attempt foolman123's suggestion after Microsoft releases their iso.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Sorry this didn't help.

but on their web you can see this'

Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8, but you'll need to buy Windows 8 as a DVD.' I bough the dvd but I can not install that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you saying that the platform referred to in the error message is Windows XP, and not a hardware platform? 

I'm using XP Professional SP3, and I also got the "platform not supported" message when I tried to run the Upgrade Assistant on my computer. I read about the processor requirements (PAE, NX, SSE2) on a couple of threads in this forum. I checked it out, and my CPU has those things enabled. So, at this point, the only explanation for the error message that makes sense is the fact that XP can't actually be upgraded to Windows 8- just replaced by it.

Sorry this didn't help.

correct

only a custom install if u have xp

Sorry this didn't help.