Unable to upgrade Windows 7 home premium to Windows 8

Hi,
I purchased the W8 pro version. I made my USB drive bootable and tried installing w8 through it. I checked with w8 installation assistant and removed all non-compatible programs. All installations proceed fine but in the end it gives error and system reverts back to w7.

Some users have asked this question. Answer is provided from Microsoft representative. And checking from their reply it seems to NOT have worked.
Could you please give me step by step  procedure to resolve this issue and install my w8? (I want it to upgrade w7 and not do fresh installation by deleting my w7).

Lastly, a customer asked a question and in reply there was suggestion to check rollback log files. I found some log files in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback and I can open them in Event Viewer too. But WHAT am I supposed to be looking for? What information would I get and what
do I do with it? Please clarify these too.
 evtlog folder contains these logs for example:-  ACEeventlog, Dell , Tune-up, System, Setup, Security, OAlerts, Internet Explorer, Media Center, Windows Power shell, Broadcom Wireless LAN and whole plethora of Microsoft Logs. Does it mean I am missing some step please clarify?

I had been waiting for w8 for quite some time now. I finally get it and am unable to install it!!! Hoping that Microsoft people give solution that actually works.

Thanks
Pratik Patil (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***)

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 504 Applies to:

What is the exact error message that you receive at the failed install upgrade?

Have you tried starting the upgrade install via a clean boot of Windows 7.  Disabling, or better still, uninstalling third party security programs, might be worth trying.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929135

If you used the Easy Transfer Wizard and saved your settings and files with that, could you then contemplate a clean install of Windows 8?

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista (or Windows 7) based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634/en-us

How to clean install Windows 8
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/how-to-clean-install-windows-8/6043a4cd-d62b-4851-86c8-e6c58f8eac90

Windows 8 Upgrade: clean install possible?
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/

How To Clean Install Windows 8 Pro Upgrade
Start a Clean Install Using an Upgrade Licensed Copy of Windows 8 Pro
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.htm

"Special requirements/possible issues: Some reports say that a few more recently released Windows 7 PCs (mostly tablets and netbooks) won't be able to run Windows 8, because they use Intel's Atom Cedar Trail processor, which has problems with the new OS."

How to Prepare Your Computer for Windows 8
http://lifehacker.com/5954904/how-to-prepare-your-computer-for-windows-8

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Notes:

• Gather all important application discs and hardware driver discs you might need to be reinstalled.
  • Check the manufacturer and software developers website for updates available and to find out about the status of compatibility with Windows 8. It is possible that if the software is compatible with Windows Vista it will likely work with Windows 8 since they share the same driver model.
  • If you are using software such as iTunes or Adobe programs, remember to deauthorize and deactivate them before running setup.

When making significant changes to your computer such as an upgrade, it is always recommended you backup your system prior to installing a new version of Windows. Thankfully, all editions of Windows 7 includes system imaging, which means you can backup your entire Windows 7 installation and restore it if it fails. Learn more about how to backup your Window 7 installation here

In addition to System Imaging, you can backup just your personal files using Backup and Restore, to do that, check out the following article:

http://notebooks.com/2010/12/27/how-to-backup-to-an-external-hard-drive/
http://notebooks.com/2011/02/25/how-to-restore-a-backup-from-an-external-hard-drive-in-windows-7/

If you want to backup themes, wallpapers and other minor features, Windows Easy Transfer is another option, you can learn more about it here

What you can do before attempting the upgrade?

You can do some pre-requisite tasks to ensure a smooth migration from Windows 7 to Windows 8. If you are using a name branded computer such as a Dell or HP, go to the manufacturers website for the model computer you are using and download the latest available drivers for that computer. Store them on a disc or USB thumb drive. Important drivers you should try to obtain include Network and Video Drivers. Its possible that they might just have Windows Vista or Windows 7 drivers, those will work with Windows 8.

Other things you can do:

1. Uninstall any security software before attempting to upgrade.
  2. Disable any encryption software you might have installed.
  3. Disable/uninstall disk utility software such as DVD/CD burning utilities or third party defragment programs such as Perfect Disk.
  4. Make sure your computer is updated (devices and applications).
  5. Disconnect any external devices before installing.
  6. Check your hard disk for any errors:
    - Click Start
    - Type: CMD
    - Right click CMD then click Run as administrator
    At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r /f
    Exit the command prompt.
    When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.
  7. Another thing you can do is disable Start items:
  • Click Start
  • Type: MSCONFIG.
  • Hit Enter on your keyboard
  • On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
  • Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
  • Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
  • Click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart.
  • After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

Run the System File Checker utility.

SFC/Scannow checks your Windows installation for errors and corrects them. This will help with ensuring that a smooth upgrade occurs.

Click Start
Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
Click ‘Run as Administrator’
At the Command Prompt, type: sfc/scannow

This will check for any integrity violations

Restart your system

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
I didnt get any error number. Exact message was "There was error installing windows 8. Reverting back to windows 7" (I might not have phrased it exactly but there was no error number). Also I have been trying to do installation with bootable USB image. (My DVD-drive is not functioning).
In "Choose what to keep" option window I chose "Windows settings, personal files and apps".
I have used upgrade assistant every time before trying installtion and uninstalled all software that it said were not compatible with windows 8. I was using 'microsoft security essential' which I unistalled before trying upgrade.

I will check easy transfer wizard. THank you very much for suggestion. But still, given option of keeping your settings in upgrade process itself is better and I would like to upgrade it that way.
Lastly I am not clear about "starting the upgrade install via clean boot of windows 7". Does it mean that I do clean boot of w7 and then install upgrade? I have not gone through clean boot instruction given in your link. I will check it out and revert back if problem persists.

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.