Trouble booting from Windows 8 OEM disc for installation

I am trying to install Windows 8 from OEM Pro Disc on an older drive that still has Windows XP 32 bit on it.  There are problems with this XP because I moved the drive from a broken computer to another one and it is no longer recognized as genuine windows.  I currently can't connect to the internet on this drive to re-activate it. 

Because of this, I am trying a clean install but can't get it to work.  I set the BIOS to boot from the dvd drive.  I get the message "Press any key to boot from cd/dvd".  After that, the drive runs awhile and all I see are the 4 blue windows....after awhile they disappear and the drive stops and nothing else happens.  I have Intel 2.4 GHZ, 2 GB ram, and directx 9 but I have not seen the WDDM drivers on the system...perhaps that is the problem.  My other hard drive is running windows XP 64 bit.

Can anyone offer any help for this situation?  I thought the I thought the OEM pro version could boot from the dvd drive.

It should be able to boot from the disc.

Could you provide your complete system specifications? Processor name/model ie: Pentium 4, Core 2 Duo etc?

Go into BIOS when you boot the computer and change the setting from IDE to AHCI. This allows Windows 7 to recognize the SATA CD or DVD ROM player you are booting from and it should install.

This probably won't work if your CD/DVD ROM isn't a SATA drive.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 6600 2.4 GHZ
Graphics card: EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT 1 GB
DVD drive: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D  (Don't think this is SATA)
RAM: 2 GB
BIOS: American Megatrends 1305 8/28/2006  version 2.3
Motherboard: Asus Digital Home PHW5 Deluxe

Thanks for any help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See if you can get any worthwhile clues from this article.

Installing Windows 8 FAQ
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-8-install-faq.htm

The hard drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software that is bootable that will thoroughly check the condition of your hard drive.

Will you Windows 8 DVD boot successfully and  begin to install Windows 8 (stop it before it gets to actually begin any install) on another computer?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

More than likely its the motherboard, too old as there are not even Windows 7 device drivers. I have an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe "Digital Home" and it relegated for use with XP or Vista.

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 share the same driver model, so even if there are no Windows 7 drivers available, Vista drivers should work. In fact, most of the drivers I am using with my system on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit are Vista drivers I got with the system back in '07.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since I am trying to boot up from the hard drive and install to a re-formatted hard disk...how would I install these drivers?  I thought the Windows 8 installation disk would have the necessary video drivers to install as part of the boot process. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I took the disc to work and set my work computer to boot from hard drive and it worked.  On my home computer, when I try to boot from hard drive I only get the windows and a couple of bright dots in the circular timer that runs at the bottom of the screen before it shuts off.  So this disk is not defective. 

Would this mean windows 8 has some conflict with the graphics card in the home computer?  Do I need to get a new graphics card to run this?  It is an EVGA nvidia GeForce 9500 1GB.  On the windows compatability site I see several cards like this but not this manufacturer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The GeForce 9500 has a Vista, Windows 7 and 8 device driver. I would download and install the most recent driver version and try upgrading again.

64Bit: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/55123

32Bit: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/55028

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks JW, I tried the 64-bit drivers, but the only place I have to download and install this is on my hard drive with Win XP 64-bit.  When I downloaded it there it said "This driver is not compatible with this operating system". I am trying to install Win 8 on the other formatted drive.  It may be that for some reason, Win 8 just does not like the graphics card....though I find that hard to believe for a boot from DVD to install on a blank drive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 24, 2019 Views 1,090 Applies to: