transferring a Windows 8 pro OEM license?

Hi there, 

I currently have computer built on Windows 8 pro 64-bit OEM (on my box it says Windows 8 pro eng intl for OEM software/Microsoft windows 8 pro 64bit English oem fqc-05995)

I built the computer myself and bought this Windows 8 from Amazon for £110 I believe. But my motherboard is about to go and I am rebuilding my computer, so new Motherboard,Processor,RAM so I will need to reinstall Windows 8 on the new pc.

My question is... am I able to transfer the licence from one pc to another (both mine, one fit for the bin) do I need to deactivate my current licence first? and how would I do this.

Or can I build my new pc, format the drive, install Windows 8 and reuse the key?

Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Answer
Answer

Yes, the Windows 8 OEM System Builder license comes with transfer rights, so you can move it to a new motherboard and reactivate by telephone:

http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx,

"Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer."

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2020 Views 6,382 Applies to: