Purchasing and Installing the Windows 8 Pro upgrade for 39.99.

I want to buy the windows 8 upgrade and download it on my desktop but install it on my laptop.  Can I download an installation file and then install it on a separate laptop?  Does the 39.99 upgrade price for windows 8 pro allow me to do a full clean installation on the laptop?  I am interested in starting the installation on a new SSD drive to improve performance.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 226 Applies to:

Yes, you can download it on one computer and install it on another.

Clicking "Download Pro" installs and runs the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, which lets you know if your PC can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, provides you with a compatibility report, and then walks you through the steps to purchase, download, and install. Run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to make sure your PC can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro before purchase—you can run it without purchasing. Upgrade Assistant will collect certain information about your potential upgrade experience. Learn more about privacy and the Upgrade Assistant.

Step 1: Use the Upgrade Assistant to qualify the PC and pay the $40 (US)

Step 2: When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso (a disk image) file.

Step 3: Wait for the Assistant to download the Windows 8 Pro installation package and create the bootable media or .iso file. The flash drive must be have 3GB or more of free space available.

Step 4: Burn the .iso file, if that's the path you chose, to a blank DVD.

-------------------

In order to install Windows 8 Pro upgrade, you will first need to reinstall your original version of Windows that was running on your computer prior to installing the Windows 8 Release Preview. Whether that is (Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7). After installing it, you can then do an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

Reinstall Windows 7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for a very well laid out answer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.