Product Key accidently used for two PC installs.

I installed Windows 8 Pro successfully from purchased disk on one PC.  Without realizing the key was good for only one install, I installed it on a second PC using the same Product Key and disk.   The license key was accepted and the install completed and seems to work fine.  I am now getting an occasional error message saying that the product key I used has been used on another PC.  When I dismiss the message, Windows 8 seems to continue to work well.

I thought that the installation would have stopped as soon as I entered that key.

So what can I expect, if I keep using that PC with its current Win 8 installation as is?  I am losing some of the functionality?

If I do purchase an additional license key, can I just enter it at the error message without reinstalling everything?

It was an upgrade from Windows 7, if that makes any difference.

Hi drdigit,

Welcome to Windows 8 Community!

From your issue description I understand that you have installed Windows 8 on two computers with a single product key and it goes to some reduced functionality. Do not worry; I am here to help you.

One Windows 8 license allows just one installation and activation on one computer.  This is spelled out completely in the Microsoft Software License Agreement you apparently agreed to when you first install Windows 8.  To read the Agreement again, type WINVER in the Search box and press the Enter key located on your keyboard.  Then click on Microsoft Software License Terms and read Paragraph 1:  Installation and Use Rights.

I would suggest you to purchase a new product key and to reinstall it on the other computer. You need to uninstall the current version of Windows 8 installed on the computer before reinstalling using the new product key.

Note: Make sure you take the backup of all your important data files before performing reinstalling Windows.

Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Regards!

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Is there a phone number we can call to purchase a second key?

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for everyone's help.  I phoned MS about the issue.  A nice tech told me that I could resolve the situation by buying an additional license key for the cost of the download, since I already owned and paid for the disk version.  He asked if I would like to be transferred to the sales department.  I said yes.

The sales department told me that separate license keys were not for sale at any price.  I referred them back to the tech department.  I was transferred back and forth a few times and got a supervisor involved too.

The final word was that separate licenses were not being sold at that time, tough luck.

I solved the problem by throwing money at it.

Even though my PC was qualified for the $39 download, it no longer was because the abortive install from the disk wiped out whatever was needed to verify the upgrade price.

So I threw the extra money at the problem and paid $69 for a $39 dollar install.

I got some more misinformation about how to fix the situation easily from the locked version the disk installed on the machine.

Well, Windows 8 Pro is installed properly and works fine.

I don't have any qualms about paying the asking price for a product.  I think the $39 upgrade was an epic fail on Microsoft's part though.  I don't believe that I should have been overcharged for the qualifying PC.

Imagine someone might think that if they paid extra for the disk  in the price of the first qualifying machine upgrade, that they could use it and buy the license key for a second QUALIFYING installation.

Yes I could have taken the time to reinstall the original operating system, searched all over the place and maybe found a driver that would work with the network card in the PC, gotten on the Internet and hoped for the best downloading the $39 dollar install.  After talking to tech support though, in the event I may have had some problems with the install, I had very little confidence I would have gotten the help I needed.

I do understand that it was a launch of a new operating system. I don't understand why the support and decision making to go the extra step to find a good solution wasn't there.

So no, there wasn't a number available to call to buy a second key at any price.  You need to do some kind of complete install, most likely the download option.  I recommend you just throw money at the problem.  That works.

Again, I want to thank the people who responded here.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I purchased a computer, and I want mention the brand, but it crashed and I upgraded to my present computer about a month later. They info from the first was transferred to the new computer and I have had no problems using word until today, however, it has been awhile since I wanted or needed to use it, so this problem may have existed for a couple of weeks or so. In any event the site pops up but I cannot type anything new, but I can access the old. It says that it is locked. Why is this happening now, after several months. What can I do to get it unlocked. I haven't been able to find a route to do it. Thanks, H. G. Allen 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Considering the age of the thread and to avoid confusion, if the troubleshooting steps in this thread did not resolve your issue I would recommend creating a new thread so that the community can focus on that thread. Refer to the following link prior to posting a question so that you may provide all the relevant information, for us to help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2023 Views 30,196 Applies to: