None of the 'tiles' in my Windows 8 start menu work, they either maximize to a full screen icon or just quit back to the desktop

Helllo all,

Last night I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8, everything seams to be working fine (quicker, smoother, etc) however none of the tiles work in the Windows Start menu Store, IE, Weather, Maps, etc. When I click on 'all apps' it will load installed programmes however.

My account is an administrator, I have switched between it being a 'local' account and attached to my 'live' account and neither worked, below are the system specs;

Sony VAIO S Laptop

Intel i5

6GB RAM

512 HDD (not a SSD)

1080p 15.5" screen (res  1080 @ 60Hz)

Nvidia 640M GPU (2GB RAM) - this is currently 'always on' rather than switching to the Intel HD 4000 (I have tried both cards, neither worked).

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Jo

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2018 Views 24,312 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I was able to diagnose the problem with Avast's Behavior Shield by just turning stuff the individual settings one by one.  After I figured out that the root of my problem was Avast I checked to see if there was an upgrade.  There was.

I upgraded Avast and now the Behavior Shield problem seems to be fixed.  In other words, I no longer have to turn off the setting I listed above for the tiles to work.  So my recommendation to folks is to upgrade Avast and see if that fixes your problem.  If not, then turn off the settings I mentioned, or disabling Avast altogether.

I sincerely hope someone from MS is reading this thread and can pass on this info to their support folks.  Avast is one of the most downloaded programs for Vista & 7; there are sure to be thousands of people with the same problem.
Awesome, you just save me a lot of time and grief.. Avast was my problem too.

Thanks!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.