Missing Media Center in Windows 8 PRO Volume License

I got the key for Media Center for Windows 8 PRO and I cannot find the "Add Features" thru Search and or the instruction given below by Microsoft.

My version is Windows 8 PRO Volume License  (not Retail), Can anyone confirm that Retail copy have this feature and not Volume License.

Thank you for registering for our free Windows 8 Media Center Pack offer! **

Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro:

1.       Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).

2.       Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.

3.       Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.

4.       Then tap or click I already have a product key.

5.       Enter the product key, and then click Next.

6.       Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Appreciate if some one help on this.

Thanks

Krishna

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Having the same problem.

Windows 8 Pro, Volume License.

CC

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You need to buy it.

Windows key + X

Click System

Click the link Add features to Windows

If you have been waiting to for the Windows Media center add-on to become available, wait no more, as the download is now available and it will set you back $10. As the name describes, the Media Center pack adds-on the much loved, but rarely used, Media Center functionality to Windows 8. We know there are a few die-hard fans out there but for the most part, the average consumer rarely used this tool.

Microsoft chose not to include the Media Center product likely to keep the entry cost of Windows 8 as low as possible. Seeing as Media Center uses many third-party codecs, Microsoft is forced to pay licensing fees to those respective companies. By removing the functionality, for those that do not need the software, Microsoft can then lower the cost of Windows 8 to all consumers.

Interestingly, you can pay via credit card or paypal. For those that love Paypal, and we know you are out there, you will enjoy this addition as it will make it easier to purchase the product.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the response Andre.  In my case, I have already purchased WMC and have the key on hand.  Problem is none of the mentioned methods will get the "Add Features To Windows" option to come up, so there is no way to enter the key.

CC

Sorry this didn't help.

You need to buy it.

Windows key + X

Click System

Click the link Add features to Windows

If you have been waiting to for the Windows Media center add-on to become available, wait no more, as the download is now available and it will set you back $10. As the name describes, the Media Center pack adds-on the much loved, but rarely used, Media Center functionality to Windows 8. We know there are a few die-hard fans out there but for the most part, the average consumer rarely used this tool.

Microsoft chose not to include the Media Center product likely to keep the entry cost of Windows 8 as low as possible. Seeing as Media Center uses many third-party codecs, Microsoft is forced to pay licensing fees to those respective companies. By removing the functionality, for those that do not need the software, Microsoft can then lower the cost of Windows 8 to all consumers.

Interestingly, you can pay via credit card or paypal. For those that love Paypal, and we know you are out there, you will enjoy this addition as it will make it easier to purchase the product.

I have Windows PRO 8 Volume License and as you mentioned I cannot find  Step 3 "Click the link Add features to Windows"  I got the Media center key and no way to enter that key without the "Add Features". Please help me if there is way to access "Add Features" link.

Thanks

Krishna

Sorry this didn't help.

This is what I got after chatting with Microsoft Tech Help:

Volume License Key and "N" editions of windows 8 cannot have the media center feature..

Does not make sense ?

Thanks

Krishna

Sorry this didn't help.

At least you got a reply!. MS have dropped the ball, they should at least tell MSDN subscribers NOT to install Pro edition because they forgot to provide and upgrade path for the Media Centre Pack. Not much value offering this for free if your subscribers cannot actually install on VL editions of Windows 8 Pro. You can install on non-Pro versions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, Windows 8 Pro accepts Media Center without a problem, and allows the user to add things, including media center, to a Windows 8 Pro installation.  I just got through doing it.  Your problem is the VL.  None of the volume licensing products allow for the installation of Media Center.  The price of the retail Windows 8 Pro license is already a crazy low of $39.99.  Media Player is free until February 2.  A VL version of Windows 8 Pro costs less than $39.99, so imo, the fact that the VL products won't accept add-ins like a free/$10 Media Center isn't surprising.

Sorry this didn't help.

VL version of Windows 8 Pro costs less than $39.99, so imo, the fact that the VL products won't accept add-ins like a free/$10 Media Center isn't surprising.

That’s not entirely correct. When you want to buy Windows 8 (and previously Windows 7 or XP) volume licenses, these licenses are only available as upgrade licenses (for windows clients, not windows server licenses). The systems on witch these licenses are tob e installed must have a professional OEM Windows client license installed (XP Pro, Win 7 Pro, Win 8 Pro OEM).

Thus the cost  for a Windows 8 volume license is the price for the volume license plus the OEM license (could be included with your computer).

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure if a solution has been posted above, but I think I figured it out...

I was having the same problem with Windows Pro where I couldn't find the "add features" and there was no option to add features under "System" or "Control Panel" either.

So I search for "Windows Media Center", opened it, put in a DVD and my DVD play in Windows Media Player...I don't think we need to input a code to use the full Media Center. Hope it works for you all!

Sorry this didn't help.

Ummm... Either:

1. You have already installed Windows Media Center but don't remember (note that when you do this, the "Add Features" option disappears forever)

2. You thought you were opening Windows Media Center, but you were actually opening Windows Media Player. Note that people in this thread mostly want to watch / record tv through their computer, not play DVDs. Windows Media Player plays DVDs already, it does not play live TV via your TV tuner.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 7,237 Applies to: