media center key request for Windows 8 constantly repeats " cannot process your request"

trying this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

it constantly repeats " cannot process your request" . Ive tried this with 3 pc's having w8 installed and with 3 emailaddresses of my family members. Nothing worked so far. I think i will revert back to windows XP. :(

rene

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 410 Applies to:

Hi rene,

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with this.

You may need to reach out to Customer Service to figure out what you are running into. You can find the Customer Service phone numbers for your region below:

United States: 1-800-Microsoft (642-7676)

Canada: +1 877 568 2495

Global list of phone numbers can be found here.

Keith

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Talked to support.  They acknowledged the site was inaccessible on Friday, still is now (Mon).  Looks like someone at Microsoft finally realized giving out a valid full license key in exchange for just an email address was one for the record books on stupid.

How about Microsoft getting out a new site which asks for and records the machines original key so that the cleanup can be done later and I can have the software I've paid for.  They should accept the fact that lots of licenses have been emailed out that can be used illegally and cover the revenue loss by canning the people that thought the original idea was a good one.

Christmas is coming an all those new Win 8 PCs that can't go out an get Media Center sounds like a pending publicity storm.

Getting a bit frustrated,
  Legit owner needing three keys.

Sorry this didn't help.

Talked to support.  They acknowledged the site was inaccessible on Friday, still is now (Mon).

Christmas is coming an all those new Win 8 PCs that can't go out an get Media Center sounds like a pending publicity storm.

Understatement time. I have three bought-and-paid-for Win8 Pro Upgrade keys. Installed one Win8Pro upgrade key. Requested media center key. Got media center key. Added media center feature. Installed second Win8Pro upgrade key. Requested media center key. Got back a media center key. Added media center feature using the key I received in the second email. Big mistake. Turns out it was the SAME media center key I got for the first request. So now I have an "unactivated" machine. And all I get on a request for my second (or third) media center key is "Cannot process your request".

What now? I sure don't want to call this in to some automated phone thing as some kind of exception and poke in a 100 digit key only to have write down some 100 digit exception. I bought three keys. I'm owed three keys. How tough could it be?!?

And Microsoft sits around cluelessly wondering why hoards of users are abandoning Windows for darn near ANYTHING else.

Sorry this didn't help.

Talked to support.  They acknowledged the site was inaccessible on Friday, still is now (Mon).

Understatement time. I have three bought-and-paid-for Win8 Pro Upgrade keys. Installed one Win8Pro upgrade key. Requested media center key. Got media center key. Added media center feature. Installed second Win8Pro upgrade key. Requested media center key. Got back a media center key. Added media center feature using the key I received in the second email. Big mistake. Turns out it was the SAME media center key I got for the first request. So now I have an "unactivated" machine. And all I get on a request for my second (or third) media center key is "Cannot process your request".

What now? I sure don't want to call this in to some automated phone thing as some kind of exception and poke in a 100 digit key only to have write down some 100 digit exception. I bought three keys. I'm owed three keys. How tough could it be?!?

And Microsoft sits around cluelessly wondering why hoards of users are abandoning Windows for darn near ANYTHING else.

Wow, this is my first interaction with the Microsoft organization.  I tried to get help getting the key for media center and first called premium support, they were clueless and asked if I wanted to pay for a tech to research it. I told her for $10, I'd be better off buying it.  She told me to call the activation number.  They said they couldn't help and to call customer service.  I finally got someone that should be able to help and his computer couldn't load the page.  LOL!!!

He said to call them back tomorrow.  They've got to be kidding!

Everyone was polite and so I'll give them credit for that.  Wow, what a time suck this free offer has been.  I was thinking of buying this for my old motion tablet, but I think I'll just stick with XP tablet, it works pretty good.

Glad I found this thread, it explains what happened and I'll try again to get the key later this week. 

Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.