Licensing and Upgrading multiple computers to Windows 8

Hello, 
I currently have 3 computers, 2 on windows 7 and one on Vista and I plan to build a computer this year. I would like to know how the licences work for the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant which costs $40 and the CD I can buy at the store for $70. Can either of these be used for multiple computers? I read that the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant can make an ISO image. Is this the same as the $70 CD I would buy at a store?

Finally, what is the cheapest route to updating all the computers, including the one I plan on building?

Thanks so much and sorry if this is redundant.
Answer
Answer

I would buy a blank or thumbdrive and use that create a bootable media using the $40 upgrade.

You could purchase 3 licenses for $120.

The Upgrade Assistant can create a bootable DVD if you want and you can use that same disc to upgrade multiple computers. When you make your purchase, you can specify the amount of licenses you want.

Step 1: Use the Upgrade Assistant to qualify the PC and pay the $40 (US)

Step 2: When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso (a disk image) file.

Step 3: Wait for the Assistant to download the Windows 8 Pro installation package and create the bootable media or .iso file. The flash drive must be have 3GB or more of free space available.

Step 4: Burn the .iso file, if that's the path you chose, to a blank DVD. Step 5: Use that USB drive or DVD to boot the PC.

Step 6: When you get to the screen in Setup that asks, "Which type of installation do you want?' choose "Custom."

Step 7: Select a disk partition for the OS in the next screen. At this point, you can create a new partition if there's enough space available, or reformat the drive.

Step 8: Continue with the installation of Windows 8 Pro.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

To upgrade our four Windows 7 PC's/ Laptops, do we have to download four times (takes ages) or can we download once, and create a bootable install disk (USB).  Then pay for the upgrade licenses on each of the 4 PC's/Laptops without doing separate downloads, and then install each PC/Laptop from the single install disk (USB)?

Once.  Collect all the license (product keys) together in a safe place and install from the single media you downloaded/created (although it might be wise to have a copy of said media stored in the same safe place as the product keys - like a fireproof/waterproof safe as well.)

I am guessing you have utilized Windows 8 and like it and also confirmed withe the hardware manufacturers of the computers in question (as well as all third party hardware attached to and installed on said machines) that everything will function as desired in Windows 8 and they support that?  (It is not Microsoft that makes things compatible - it is the people who make their own products to run on top of Microsoft software.  One Microsoft, millions of software and hardware manufacturers.)

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2013 Views 8,834 Applies to: