install.esd file from windows 8 upgrade advisor

I have purchased windows 8 pro via the windows 8 upgrade advisor and have noticed that inside the folder where the download is stored, there is an install.esd file rather than an install.wim? As I need to mount and service my image to add drivers to my install?? but cannot because dism cannot open esd format, this isn,t fair!! I payed for my upgrade and would like to service my image!! but can't!! what to do now??

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2019 Views 23,288 Applies to:
if you are running from an XP machine upgrade advisor will not allow you to create an ISO or bootable flash drive.  If you use the email that was sent to you to redownload the software from a windows 7 and maybe vista at the end when you go to install the upgrade it will ask you if you want to make an ISO or bootable flash drive.  Make the iso or flash drive then you will have access to the wim

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

if you are running from an XP machine upgrade advisor will not allow you to create an ISO or bootable flash drive.  If you use the email that was sent to you to redownload the software from a windows 7 and maybe vista at the end when you go to install the upgrade it will ask you if you want to make an ISO or bootable flash drive.  Make the iso or flash drive then you will have access to the wim

I ran the upgrade advisor from windows 7!! at the end I had the option to create iso or usb media!! I created iso file and still there is an install.esd in the sources folder on the iso!! so I assume I can't add drivers to my install or make modifactions to my purchase!!! that sucks!! thank MS

Sorry this didn't help.

The install.esd to the best of my knowledge is an encryted install.wim, if you have a freind with the Windows 8 "Retail" upgrade DVD you may be able to copy / replace the .esd with the .wim file and then burn a bootable .ISO

I try it out on a blank drive with the Internet disconnected as you don't want to accidentally activate and have the upgrade process fail at a later point during the upgrade process.

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Solution is an answer file! (file used in automated or unattend Windows installation)
You will need prepared Windows 8 installation USB.
  1.  Create file with name autounattend.xml , place this file in the root of the USB installation media.
  2.  Put all your drivers in folder named drivers in the root of the USB media
  3. Open autounattend.xml with any file editor. Copy and past following text:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    <settings pass="windowsPE">
        <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            <DiskConfiguration>
                <WillShowUI>Always</WillShowUI>
            </DiskConfiguration>
            <UserData>
                <ProductKey>
                    <WillShowUI>Always</WillShowUI>
                </ProductKey>
            </UserData>
            <UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet>
        </component>
        <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsWinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            <DriverPaths>
                <PathAndCredentials wcm:action="add" wcm:keyValue="1">
                    <Path>%configsetroot%drivers\</Path>
                </PathAndCredentials>
            </DriverPaths>
        </component>
    </settings>
    <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

Now pay attention to the 4th and 17th line of copied text. Do you see "x86" ? Depending on your proccessor you may need to change this value to "x64". Make this change if you need and save again. Now you can reboot from your USB with your drivers.

This approach helped me to install Windows 8 Pro to Acer Aspire V5-431, which otherwise lacked support for AHCI and wi-fi drivers and ended with BSOD each time I tried to install Windows 8 Pro. Now it works fine.

You may wish to make autounattend.xml with Windows System Image Manager. If so ,use install.wim from any Windows 8 installation iso-file, to create  and edit autounattend.xml. Possibly you can use install.wim from Seven or even Vista for this purpose, but remember, all you need is autounattend.xml , you don't have to change install.wim or install.esd.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 8 upgrade advisor automatically lets you create a bootable DVD or USB drive. Just run setup.exe (not from the source foler!) and it will give you the option to install now, or make an ISO file, or a bootable DVD or USB drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi I my case It's Different...

I need to upgrade my windows 7 professional to windows 10.  i did it for many pc but not certain workstation. example dell precision t3610...here's is the PIC show's the error.

I am getting error 0xc1900101-0x20017

I guess problem with SATA driver..because while installing from boot it requires additional driver file to install os..

so i think i have to crack install.esd file --> then add my drivers --> repack it --> Then use for my PC ..

If anybody has better solution ..please do post it..

Sorry this didn't help.