i just bought a HP windows 8 laptop

im trying to reset it to factory settings but it keeps telling me that it could not find the needed files, the laptop didnt bring a windows 8 cd, what do i d
almost all the new pcs what come with OSes for years have no disc and some you will have to make a restore disc or order one and a few of that you get which you maybe lucky to have one

also describe what problems you have had before before you were attempting to restore ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

How to reinstall Windows 8

You have a couple options:

If you would like to reinstall Windows 8, which means removing apps and personal files and settings, you can use reset and refresh. This is equivalent to a clean install.

To do it, do the following:

· Press Windows key + i on your keyboard to show the Charms bar (If you are using a touchscreen: Touch the right edge of your screen and swipe your finger to the left)

· Click Settings

· Click Change PC settings

· Click General in the left column

· Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be provided on the screen to reinstall Windows on your PC.

or

-------------------------------------

New computers that come preinstalled with Windows often have what is called a recovery partition. This is used to reinstall the operating system in the event of a system crash. To access it, you will need to boot into when you start your computer by pressing a function key. This can be either F1, F2, F9, F10, F11, F12 or even DEL or Tab key. Consult the owners manual that came with your PC for instructions about how to reinstall Windows.

For HP, press F11 directly after powering up the unit

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

no issues, im gifting it

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

this didnt help, it keeps asking me for those files 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

what kind of files and if the restore is not working then you need to go hp.com which you can order online to get the restore disc to try to see if it works and are you able to use w8 ?
and if you need further help there is a HP forum and im a HP owner of desktops and laptops and I also do help in the hp forum there and here is the hp forum link    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/

as for the F11 key for hp pc it will not work on W8 but older version of windows yet it will
As for W8 settings, you have to restart the pc and i do not remember how i did it but i did to learn what steps to take if i needed do something in case something happened and learn how to get in to safe mode if i need to and i think on the windows selection screen you select the lower part below like on mine it shows the box W8 and windows settings and there is the text below that you select

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 173 Applies to: